Jeff and I had our 3rd Anniversary on August 29th. I found out a couple of weeks beforehand that Jeff was planning a surprise celebration for us. I was so excited! I love surprises and knowing that his plans involved being alone together for almost an entire 24 hours while Grandma and Grandpa watched Luke, I couldn't wait! Our plans got pushed back a couple of times when our weekends were overtaken by house viewing appointments. As excited as we were to celebrate our anniversary, we were even more anxious to finally find and move into a house so that took priority, but on the second Friday in September, my bag was packed and as soon as Jeff got home from work, we said good-bye to Luke and hit the road. I had no idea where we were going until we drove into the beautiful La Torretta Del Lago Resort and Spa almost an hour later. I was practically giddy with excitement at the thought of staying overnight in this gorgeous, fancy place with my husband ALONE (living in the guest room at the in-laws for the past 2 months had meant very little privacy and one-on-one time with my husband and I seriously missed it)!
We had a spectacular view of the resort from our balcony. It all looked so enticing that we wasted no time settling in or relaxing. We immediately changed into our swim suits and headed for the pools.
First, we stopped at the grill for a delicious and overpriced dinner. We revealed our childish sides to the group of more mature middle-aged adults at the table next to us when, while we were waiting for our food, we ran over to the kiddie splash pad behind us and screamed (well, I screamed) while the massive bucket of water poured a waterfall all around us. I don't think I'm ever going to get to an age where I don't want to act like a kid sometimes (most of the time).
The massive bucket.
We got drenched! Although not as drenched as we thought we would because we happened to be standing in just the right spot that the majority of the flood of water fell around us.
This was hands down our favorite part of the resort. We slid down these slides about 100 times. That seriously may not be an exaggeration. I lost count. The pink slide was by far the best. It was the best slide of it's kind that I have ever been on! The speed and sharpness of the curves were perfect!
My favorite way to slide was sitting up because I would whip around the curves so fast that I would ride up the side walls as I went. It was my goal to stay in a sitting position through all of the turbulence every time. I made a lot of water splash out over the edges of the slide riding this way and once I even stunned the lifeguard sitting at the bottom of the slide with a mini tidal wave.
This was hands down our favorite part of the resort. We slid down these slides about 100 times. That seriously may not be an exaggeration. I lost count. The pink slide was by far the best. It was the best slide of it's kind that I have ever been on! The speed and sharpness of the curves were perfect!
My favorite way to slide was sitting up because I would whip around the curves so fast that I would ride up the side walls as I went. It was my goal to stay in a sitting position through all of the turbulence every time. I made a lot of water splash out over the edges of the slide riding this way and once I even stunned the lifeguard sitting at the bottom of the slide with a mini tidal wave.
At the top of the slide at the end of the day. We spent all afternoon sliding, with a little lazy river and hot tub mixed in.
Back in our room, we compared our matching injuries from riding down the slide on our stomachs. I guess that's why there is a sign warning not to ride that way. Too bad there wasn't a sign telling me that if I rode down backwards sitting up, I would smack the back of my head so hard against the fiberglass that the entire resort would hear it. With only two slides, Jeff and I tried to keep things interesting with a little variety, but those efforts occasionally ended painfully.
Sunset from our balcony
Jeff and I noticed a mini golf course on our way into the resort so we decided to squeeze in a game before bed.
Mini-golf
Since we weren't keeping score, Jeff and I kept things interesting by taking turns coming up with trick shots at each hole (e.g. use your club like a pool cue - Jeff got a hole-in-one on this shot, between the legs, hit every corner, etc.)
The next morning, we had an unbelievably overpriced continental breakfast. It was by far the fanciest continental breakfast I've ever seen in terms of presentation and I ate at least a pound of fruit (it was the good stuff - blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, etc.), but no breakfast buffet is worth $20 per person! After we got the bill, we grabbed a couple of bagels and muffins to eat for lunch so we wouldn't have to pay for that too!
Next, we headed to the docks for an hour of kayaking. We found out Jeff is a much more powerful kayak-er than I am (surprise, surprise), we managed to switch places in the middle of the water without tipping (method: Jeff crawled under my legs as I 'walked' to the back of the kayak), we got a great arm workout, and I managed to flip us accidentally-on-purpose when I absolutely did NOT want to (I was jokingly rocking the kayak and I completely misjudged the point of no return. I'm a little bit terrified of beasties lurking out of sight in murky lake water. Jeff cracked up at me as I struggled to flip the kayak and scramble back into it screaming about not wanting to have my toes nibbled off).
I just love this guy.
Checkout was at noon so after kayaking, Jeff and I went back to the hotel and packed our bag and while Jeff was checking out, I carried our bag out to the pool, where we spent a couple more hours playing and relaxing. Hopefully that's not too frowned upon. For what we paid for our one night stay, it didn't seem like too much to ask.
We slid down the slide a couple zillion more times (we noticed that only little kids did the water slide like we did - slide down, climb out of the pool, speed walk back to the slide and up the ladder, slide down again, repeat over and over), relaxed in the adult pool, and worked on our tans for a while before driving back to Jeff's parent's house to see Luke after his first overnight babysitting experience. We were told he did great.
Jeff used his rolled up towel as a pillow and relaxed halfway underwater. He was in heaven. I stuck to the chair next to him.
Jeff and I had an absolutely fabulous time on this short getaway. I just LOVE my husband! I can't get enough of him and I'm so grateful to him for thoughtfully planning the trip for us. We realized though that as much fun as it was to feel fancy and rich for a day, what made the trip so great was having time to just be together and have fun just the two of us, so next time we'll go for something cheaper. We certainly don't need all the frills to have a great time together!

1 comment:
That place looks fantastic! I love that you guys go on the slide over and over again. Never change that :)
Post a Comment