Wednesday, November 9, 2011

When One Becomes Three

The day after Jeff and I returned from our anniversary getaway, we made an impromptu move from Greg and Renita's house to Ben & Caitlin's. Caitlin started a job with CPS early this year and with both she and Ben out of the house during the day, they had to hire a nanny to take care of their two cute girls. The nanny worked well for a while, but they soon started having problems with her and they became a little desperate to find a replacement. As soon as Jeff and I made the final decision that we would be moving out to Fairfield (less than 10 minutes away from Ben & Caitlin), it was decided that I would become the new nanny as soon as we moved into our house.

Well, we didn't end up waiting that long. Jeff and I had been living with Jeff's parents for 2 months and it was starting to feel like we had stayed our welcome - not according to Greg and Renita, of course! They were SO good to us - feeding us and being incredibly accommodating in every way. They made it clear that we could stay as long as we needed to and they were very understanding of the fact that finding a house was taking longer than we expected. However, in spite of the fantastic situation we found ourselves in (kind and wonderful hosts, a beautiful house, free food and rent), it was starting to feel like we had been living in that guest room forever and it was time for a change. I really wished that change was a move into our very own home, but since that move was still a few weeks away and we knew that Ben and Caitlin were waiting anxiously for a new nanny, we thought, hey, maybe time will go faster with a change of pace and scenery! We called Ben and Caitlin early Sunday evening to see what they thought of the idea. They agreed, but said it would be best if I could start watching the girls on a Monday, so Jeff and I packed up our room in record speed and the three of us were moving into another guest room not even two hours later!

Thus began my first week caring for three times the number of children I was used to. The transition went surprisingly smoothly. It was pretty crazy busy at first, but it was fun and exciting from the start. And I found that my daily schedule really didn't change much. Every activity just required a little more of my time and attention since I had to account for all three kids. I am actually very glad for the experience because Luke is learning to have siblings and be around other kids, and I am no longer nervous at the thought of having more children of my own. And I'm never bored! Of course there have been challenges (e.g. Bethany going through an "I don't like Luke and I'm not afraid to show it" phase and Becca biting Luke multiple times, and the following...)

At first Luke LOVED it! He loved having his fun cousins to play with and he was so sweet to them, hugging them and giving them toys and snacks, and not even getting mad when they took his toys. But after a while, he went through a phase where he HATED it! He was just unhappy for about a week (the 3rd or 4th week after I started watching the girls). He was mostly upset that his one-on-one time with his mommy had seriously decreased. And it didn't help that Bethany had started picking on him a bit. She was, for whatever reason, much less willing to share with Luke and much quicker to yell and snap at him than Becca. She is generally very sweet to Becca. In the attention department, Luke was probably getting even less than 1/3 of the attention he got before because Bethany, being 3 and extremely talkative, demanded a LOT of attention. She rarely stopped talking and anything she was doing, she wanted me to do it with her (this hasn't really changed, but I've learned to manage it better). She's 3. What could I expect. I didn't resent Bethany at all for her desire for attention, but it broke my heart to see Luke get so upset and even desperate as he was forced to share his Mommy day after day. It got to the point that all I had to do was walk a few steps away from him, and he would break down into screams and sobs. It was exhausting - physically and emotionally. That stress on top of the stress of wondering when we were finally going to be in our own home and not living out of a single bedroom in someone else's house anymore, trying to get used to living in a brand new place far away from my family, struggling to find a good time to exercise, worrying about making new friends and being a little lonely in the meantime, and most of all, almost never getting to be alone with my husband, even just to talk was enough to drive me a little crazy. I couldn't believe that in spite of all that I had to be grateful for, this was one of the hardest things I had ever gone through in my life. I felt guilty for the feelings of depression creeping in, but I couldn't seem to shake them. I had my ups and downs (I made sure the kids were oblivious on the harder days by putting on a happy face), but I'm happy to say that in the end, we survived! And life is wonderful now (as I write this 2 months later)! I am happy and settling into a beautiful new home with my little family (I love them so much, I can't even begin to tell you!), in a gorgeous area with a fantastic new ward. Okay, I'm getting ahead of myself. I will get back to all of that when I catch this blog up to the present. 

For now, here are some pictures of my first week watching the girls (while living at Ben and Caitlin's):

Luke was constantly climbing into Rocky's cage. For some reason, he thought it was the funniest thing!

Becca has the sweetest smile and she always brings it out for the camera.

Sharing cereal with Rocky in the dog cage. So sanitary.

With those teeth, Becca reminds me of a cute little hamster.

The first day with the girls was a crazy one! It was crazy enough trying to get used to simultaneously preventing three kids from killing themselves or each other, preparing three lunches, appeasing three children at story time, and putting three kids down for naps. Even something as simple and seemingly easy as taking three toddlers to the park, which is no more than 30 yards from the front door, can get complicated when an escape artist dog gets involved.

Rocky bolts for the front door the moment it's left open for more than a nano-second and on this, my very first day as a guest in Ben and Caitlin's home, I wasn't used to keeping such close tabs on the little Houdini.
So, with a baby in each arm, I opened the door and told Bethany to walk outside first. She hesitated ever so slightly and Rocky tore past us out into the yard. Bethany started to panic as he sprinted down the side walk. Fortunately for me, he stopped at the corner and decided to double back to a yard only two houses down. Bethany trotted next to me as I carried the two little ones and hurried over to where Rocky was sniffing around at the fence in the side yard between two houses. About 15 feet away from the dog, I put the two little ones and my camera down in the grass and started to sneak up on Rocky. The babies followed me with unsteady steps in the tall grass. Luke made sure to grab my camera by the strap and dragged it behind him with a look on his face like, "Mom, you forgot this, but don't worry, I got it."

Rocky was distracted by some fascinating smell he had discovered on the fence and he didn't even look up before I snatched his collar. (I would find out in the coming weeks that I was incredibly lucky. Rocky is unbelievably fast and he has never before and never since then allowed himself to be caught that easily. I would definitely classify this experience as a tender mercy.) Of course, Rocky would rather choke himself to death than walk when his collar is pulled so after a few steps of dragging and wheezing, I gave in and picked him up in both arms. Naturally, it was when I had a big dog in my arms that the two little ones decided it would be fun to explore the street. Our ridiculous little group moved slowly down the sidewalk with me carrying the dog and attempting to herd the kids back to Ben and Caitlin's house two houses down. Eventually, we made it back to the house, shoved Rocky inside and finally made our way across the street to the park.

I'm pretty sure Luke climbs up slides more often than he slides down them.

Becca refused to be put down on this particular day, making it even more difficult to simultaneously make sure Luke didn't leap off the edge of the playground and comply with Bethany's many requests to slide down the slides with her. But I managed. And Becca got more and more adventurous with each visit to the park (we went at least once, sometimes twice a day).


Bethany loves slides! And notice the fence in the background. It surrounds the entire park and you need a key to get through the gate. It's wonderful! From anywhere you are in the park, you can see your kids and know that they can't run out into the street.

Still climbing those slides.

Luke, at 14-months-old, got brave enough to slide down this slide all by himself on our second visit to this park.

The camera was accidentally zoomed in way too much for this picture, but I really like effect of the sunlight in it, so it makes the blog.

Becca was perfectly happy as long as I was holding her.


Always climbing

Rock-climber in the making.


It was pretty toasty out there. We never stayed out long enough for anyone to get burned, but the kids always came back with cute pink faces.

Luke loves Rocky! He squeals and laughs every time he sees him. Luke is always trying to give Rocky big bear hugs and nuzzle Rocky's face with his head.

Climbing, climbing, climbing...

Bethany's cheesy camera smile

Luke loves to wear shoes. All shoes. He doesn't care if they are mommy's high heels, Daddy's work shoes, or Becca's tiny pink sandals.

"They're 4 sizes too small" is NOT as satisfactory explanation for why Luke can't wear a pair of shoes.


Rocky is so trusting, letting little kids rub his belly. This dog is so good with kids! When they get a little rough, he just takes it or walks away - even if they just blatantly whack him on the nose. I have never heard him growl or seen him snap at anyone. That's why I forgive him when he occasionally snatches food out of the Luke's and Becca's hands.

Cute cousins. This was before Bethany decided she didn't like Luke. Don't worry she went back to liking him again (as much as a 3-year-old can like a 1-year-old anyway).


The piano. Always a favorite.

Rocky takes naps when the kids do.

Luke always happily wakes Rocky up after his nap. Poor Rocky was used to Bethany and Becca sleeping for 3+ hours, but Luke only sleeps for 1 1/2, maybe 2.

Belly rub


Nuzzling

Ben and Caitlin have a great little play set in the backyard and the kids and I like to top off a trip to the playground with some time on the play set.


Cute Bethany. She swings SO high!



Swinging next to his cousin


Love those little toes!


This has to be an optical illusion! I promise I never pushed Luke so hard that he was in danger of falling out of the swing, despite what appears to be photo evidence.


Luke can't believe how high Bethany get either!


She is adorable.



When Luke is in a goofy mood, he screams a lot.

And sticks out his tongue.

Yes, Luke is missing his pants and shoes. It's a rule that he wears shoes outside because fire ants are plentiful in Houston. I'm not sure what happened this time. This post is obviously not going to win me Mom of the Year.

This sweet girl loves to have her picture taken and then ask to see it immediately afterward.



Luke is so cool. Even in nothing but a diaper.

Cousin cuddles

Luke wasn't in the mood for cuddles.

Luke had to see what Rocky was up to under the trampoline.

Luke thought Bethany was so funny when she jumped.

"This is awesome, Mom!"

Getting some air

Luke was so excited when I opened a little bag of goldfish and handed it to him to take and eat all on his own.

He decided to share it with Rocky.

He literally did "one for you, one for me."
He thought it was hilarious.

One day Jeff came home from work and played with Bethany and Luke in the hose. And then I had to change Bethany's clothes afterwards when she was wet and freezing. Of course.




Jeff is one fun uncle! Next time I'll make sure he is the one to deal with the consequences of his fun games.

Caitlin made a chocolate cake one night. Becca got to lick the spoon for the first time. I think it's safe to say she loved it.

Adding two extra kids to my daily routine has been fun and challenging. As soon as Caitlin is able to stay home, I will gladly give her cute, crazy girls back to her and go back to just one, but for now I am trying to make the most of it and we are having a lot of adventures!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

These are some great pictures of some cute kids! I love the one of Rocky smiling upside down. So funny! I am so happy that Luke can visit a doggy who is so nice :)