Luke is just a few days short of 17 months old and lately he has been doing some really funny and cute things. I won’t post about his stats and what he’s up to for another month and I didn’t want to forget these things if he’s not still doing them then.
#1 Luke is terrified of slipping in puddles of water. It has
happened one too many times, I guess. Now, if he sees any amount of water
spilled from a sippy cup, tracked in after playing in the rain or sprinklers,
or left on the bathroom floor after a shower or bath, he becomes very nervous,
frustrated and extremely cautious. He will immediately sit down, whine and cry
and point, and the clueless adults in the room usually assume he fell and
someone will try and put him back on his feet. This only makes him cry and
protest more while he refuses to straighten his legs until he is put back down
in a sitting position. He will then proceed to scoot himself along on his
little tooshie until he is far out of
the range of the water spots before he will stand and walk. Sometimes he skips
the crying and panicking and Jeff and I will just notice him quietly slithering
on his stomach, scooting, or crawling out of the bathroom after one of us took
a shower. It’s hilarious!
#2 Luke is also very concerned that his food might be hot,
or as he says, “haaa.” When we put something on the tray of his high chair, no
matter what it is, he immediately starts to blow on it. He will then test it’s
temperature by hovering the palm of his hand about an inch above the food, saying,
“haaa…haaa..” I have no idea where he learned this. We taught him to blow on
hot food, but he started feeling for steam on his own. A couple of days ago,
after I used the oven, Luke walked by and felt that the front of it was a
little warm. He was sure to blow on it before he walked away.
#3 Luke LOVES to have me read him stories. Any time we are
in his room, he will grab a book (or 3) off the shelf, climb into my rocking
chair and smile at me expectantly. I love it! I was so sad when he was younger
and didn’t have the patience to get through an entire book, no matter how long
or short it was. He still turns the pages a little too quickly sometimes, but I
love how excited he is about it. When we finish one book, he will hop down from
my lap, choose another one, hand it to me, and climb back up, laughing and
chattering away the whole time. Sometimes he decides half-way through that a
book is too boring. He will close the boring book and hand me another book to
replace it, usually with an excited little yell, like “THIS is a better one!”
It is also adorable when he “reads” books to Jeff and I, pointing out the
pictures to us on each page.
#4 Luke is becoming quite the little athlete. His dribbling
(soccer) skills are seriously impressive. He gets going fast and somehow
manages to keep the big soccer ball in front of him as he runs around the
living room giving the ball a little kick every time his right foot comes
forward. He’ll usually run into something or lose control after about 4 or 5
kicks, but still quite impressive. He’s also got a solid over-hand throw. Jeff
is pleased.
No comments:
Post a Comment