Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Fisher Caribbean Cruise - Day 5 (Antigua)

On Thursday morning, we docked in beautiful Antigua and Renita bravely took all three children while Greg went on a tour; and Ben, Caitlin, Steven, Kyle, Jeff, and I all went zip-lining. 

On the way to the zip-line and ropes course, we learned that our bus driver, Bently, has 61 kids! Seriously?! Insane! Also, during the drive, I saw a topless woman and it wasn't even the saggy, unsightly kind. Jeff saw a donkey. I'm glad it wasn't the other way around.

Beautiful view of the valley from the bus

Waiting to get started and enjoying the view

Our group (minus Ben, the photographer)

Once everyone was suited up, we got started on an exciting adventure comprised of 12 zip-lines followed by 9 ropes challenges. It was a great zip-line course with beautiful surroundings. All of lines were high up off the ground so we rocketed across each one with tree tops nearly grazing our feet and plants and streams far below. One zip-line, nicknamed "The Screamer" was 350 feet high off the ground and 330 feet long.

Where one zip-line ended, another began and there was someone at each station to help clip our belts onto the next line. In case you aren't aware, at 5'6", I have legs the length of my 5"0' BYU roommate, so I had to get way up onto my tip-toes and strain to get my hips high enough for the ranger to clip the carabiner onto the front of my harness. I got laughed at, albeit good-naturedly, by just about every ranger who helped me. I don't know how short people get up there! And to add insult to injury, the one time I didn't quite make it to the platform at the other end of the zip-line, Ben laughed like a mocking cartoon character and it echoed all the way across the great expanse of the line and slapped me in the face. Fortunately, I was having way to much fun to worry about embarrassing myself.

While I struggled to even get attached to the line and step off of the wooden steps at the edge of each platform; Jeff shook the line, tree, and platform with every leap into the open air. Once, in his determination to get the fastest ride possible, he took a flying leap off the steps at the start of "The Screamer" and the force caused steps to shoot backwards and crash into the tree trunk. It scared the bejeezus out of everyone on the platform. That crazy adrenaline-junky husband of mine doesn't know his own strength!

After 12 exhilarating zip-lines, it was time for the ropes course challenge. Just as I finished the first of the 9 challenges - a 32-foot drop - I saw a little gecko that was exactly the color of a rainbow fruit roll-up. These islands are full of the most amazing little creatures! The rest of the course included tight-ropes (with chest high ropes to hang onto) and wooden planks and beams arranged into various shaky bridges. Kyle impressively went no hands across several of them, like a tightrope walker. I, on the other hand, tried to crab walk across one plank, got confused about which direction was forward and fell on my head - fortunately, I was wearing a helmet.

Part of "The Screamer" as seen from the gift shop after we finished the course. Obviously, we couldn't bring our cameras with us and I wasn't about to pay $20 for a picture that wouldn't do much to portray the experience anyway, so this was the best I could do.

We got back to the ship an hour early so Jeff and I sneaked upstairs to grab a quick frozen yogurt before relieving Grandma and Grandpa of their babysitting duties.

That night, we had yet another delicious and enjoyable dinner to finish off a great day.

No comments: