Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Local Cuisine

There is nothing more plentiful in Houston than donut shops. Seriously. They are everywhere – like Starbucks in Orange County, only more! There are donut shops everywhere you look, in virtually every shopping center. Luke and I had yet to try them during our first 7 weeks living here, so today we took a little trip to Star Lite Donuts to share a classic chocolate iced doughnut. It was delicious and Luke’s cute face earned him 10 free donut holes from the store owner.

Afterwards, we drove down to the Willowbrook Mall, where Luke ran around the soft play area with all of the other kids for a while. He loved it! He was in awe of this magical place where the floor is spongy, he’s allowed to climb on everything, and there are a whole bunch of fun kids running in every direction.

It was a good day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's one thing I miss about Texas is all the donut shops! All run by cute Asian families! Also down there they usually have pigs in a blanket in the donut shops.. I didn't realize that was only a texas thing until I came up here and they thought I was a weirdo for wondering why there weren't pigs in a blanket in the donut shops. :)

frugalmom said...

My kids were also amazed by the donut shops there. Besides the grocery store, I think Boise has like 2 other donut shops total, and one of those is a KRispy Kreme.