Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Worst Birthday Ever

Okay not really. I just felt like being super dramatic for a second. And besides, it was certainly a better birthday than when I turned 11 and went to a surprise birthday party that wasn't for me, where I didn't know half the people and none of them knew it was my birthday.

Truth be told, today there was a lot of good mixed in with a little bad. Let me break it down for you ...

BAD
  • Being sick and having an even sicker husband.
  • Being home alone with the baby most of the day while the husband was at work.
  • Eating cake and ice cream standing alone in my kitchen because the husband felt too sick to have any and he was lying in bed trying not to die.
 I made the cake (per my request) and Jeff wrote on it. This was the extra cake. I'll post pictures of the adorable 6-inch tall 3-tiered cake when its finished.

 23 candles


  • Feeling a little nauseous myself after just a little bit of cake and ice cream.
  • Not feeling well enough to finish decorating my adorable mini 3-tiered cake.
  • Being in Flagstaff where it's too cold to do anything outside (not that we were well enough to anyway, but still).
  • Being away from friends and family.

GOOD
  • A sweet, adorable baby boy who was in a good mood pretty much all day long and who entertained himself while Mommy enjoyed decorating her cakes.
  • An absolutely wonderful husband who loves me and did his best to give me a good birthday despite the fact that he felt miserable.
  • Being woken up by the aforementioned wonderful husband singing "Happy Birthday" and discovering that the poor sick man had gotten up early to hang a Happy Birthday sign, make me pancakes and do the dishes.
  • A big pile of the perfect gifts.
Beautiful package from my parents

 The fabulous contents (the sewing things on the left are from my wonderful Mamal, who recently gave me my very own sewing machine). Not pictured: A hilarious and adorable wind-up inchworm. I love my mom!

 From Jeff

 Exciting gift from Greg and Renita
  • Spending the morning watching cartoons with a baby in rare cuddly form.
  • Calls from family members I love so much.
  • Feeling almost completely healthy until dinnertime.
  • Lots of sweet birthday wishes on Facebook all day long.
  • Hilarious E-cards from my hard working husband.
  • A fun get-together with a few other young moms from my ward and making new friends.
  • A thoughtful birthday card from a new friend.
  • Dinner at Ruby Tuesday's and a coupon for a free burger.


 Having a gander at the alcoholic beverages ...

and wisely choosing to move on to the desserts.

  • Feeling free to eat whatever I wanted, but managing not to go overboard.
  • Lots of hugs, kisses, snuggles, and even some massaging from a husband who loves me.
  • Slobbery kisses and endless smiles from a cute baby boy.

  • A promise from an exhausted and uncomfortable husband to have a "me" day when we feel better.

Sure, if I could have, I would have changed a couple of things about this birthday, but just do the math - there was way more good than bad. I really do have so much to be thankful for and I find myself coming away from my "golden" birthday (turning 23 on the 23rd) feeling loved and blessed.

No comments: