Monday, November 12, 2012

Sick Day

November 12, 2012

I'm siiiick (okay, maybe not quite sick enough to warrant four i's, but I am!). Despite being a little under the weather with a scratchy, runny, sinusy, head-achey cold, it was actually a pretty great day today!

Luke has a book of Little Golden Book stories that includes a really cute story called "The Color Kittens." It's one of my favorites to read to him because it's adorable and kind of beautiful. It's about two little kittens that have "buckets and buckets and buckets and buckets" of paint that they mix together in their quest to make green paint, and ultimately "all the colors in the world." 

This morning, Luke and I decided to be color kittens by dying and mixing cups of water ...
 


I saw this on Pinterest once and thought it was pretty cool: let the paper towels absorb water from both cups and transfer it into the middle cup, where they will mix and form a new color. Luke thought it was cool too, until he realized how long it was going to take ...

I even tried to help it along, but patience isn't this 2-year-old's forte. This and the next two pictures were taken over the span of about a minute.

Still nothing?!

This is taking too long. I give up.

Obviously, this method wasn't gonna fly, so I gave in and poured a little from each up into the middle one.
Green?! Luke was impressed.

Why stop there? Luke grabbed a cup and started pouring!

So Awesome!!

Next, we gave orange + purple = red a shot.

Fail. Hey, what's going on here??

Purple and green didn't make blue either, but Luke thought watching the drop of purple food coloring come out and get sucked back into the bottle over and over was hilarious!

Red + Yellow = ...

Me: "Well, that's kinda orange." Luke (after taking a close look): "Kinda Red!" He wasn't buying it.

Red + Green = Brown?

It looked black, but the paper towel showed brown. Too concentrated, apparently. Maybe the paper towel trick would have worked on a couple of our other combinations!

To make up for our sub-par performance as color kittens, we made a few potions ...




It was around this time that I got an email from Jeff telling me he had earned another $250 prize at work! This is the 3rd or 4th time he has gotten one of these excellence awards. The rule is that anyone at work can submit someone's name and the reason they deserve an award for going above and beyond, and if it is approved, the person receives some amount of money, about $100+. Most of the time, the submissions just go to Jeff's boss (just above him), but in this case, all submissions went to GE. There were 75 submissions, and Jeff was one of the 9 picked to win a $250 prize! He is amazing! And as if that isn't enough, every time Jeff wins one of these prizes, he asks to receive it in the form of a Carnival Cruise gift card, so we can save up for our next cruise! Have I mentioned before that I LOVE that man?!

Also, today is my wonderful sister-in-law, Caitlin's birthday. She is AWESOME! Possibly the best perk of moving to Texas was moving in less than 10 minutes away from her and her family. For her birthday, I decided to make her a little treat that was a nice mix of healthy and chocolatey:




She liked it. :)

When Jeff got home, he and Luke bundled up and went out back to play in the freezing cold 50 degree whether (Texans are kinda wimpy when it comes to cold). I watched from the door to avoid the unpleasant reaction my sore throat and runny nose would have to the cold, and had a fantastic conversation over the phone with my momma. She's the best!

Luke will use anything as a "tunnel" for his train. Whenever he catches me sitting on the floor with my knees up, "That tunnel, Mommy?"

How cute are these two?! Jeff taught Luke to keep his hands warm in his sweatshirt pockets.

After we roasted s'mores over the fire Jeff and Luke made, Luke decided to grab his blanket and go lie under the stars. "It dark outside, Mommy. I take nap."
 
After surprising Jeff by running and jumping into his lap on the couch ...
Luke: "I do it again!"
Jeff: "What? Run and jump on me?"
Luke: "No! Run and hug you!"
Jeff: "Oh, even better!"
(I love these two).




See? Not a bad day for a sick day. It's pretty hard to have a bad day with a family like mine. Especially a sweet husband, who offers over and over to do whatever he can to make his sick wife comfortable and happy. Love that man!

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Ah, what a sweet post. :)

Heidi said...

Awww. I love that wonderful young man too! He is the best dad and husband!