November 14, 2012
Luke's new bike seat is quickly becoming one of my favorite things! I LOVE having him so close to me so we can just chat, discuss things we see along our ride, crack jokes, and just talk about life together the WHOLE time we're riding. When he was back in the trailer, bike rides were more about the destination, but these days, it's about the journey and we are both loving the change!
If you look closely, the little stinker is actively NOT smiling just because I asked him to smile. He thinks he's pretty funny.
Luke wanted to take a picture of the clouds. It's been a pretty cold, cloudy kinda week!
We went to the opening of the brand new HEB grocery store in Fairfield (I just mapquested it - 1.83 miles from our house) and checked out the live lobsters!
They even had some available to pet, but Luke wasn't interested in getting any closer than this!
By the way, one of the lobsters in the tank was 70 years old and was about 3 times the size of the others! Did you even know lobsters lived to be 70??! I sure didn't!
We sampled cheese, pomegranate, and french toast bread (Syrup and cinnamon baked right in! Delicious!).
We hung out in the cute cafe section of the store to finish our pomegranate (and a banana from home).
And finally, our bike ride took us to Ben and Caitlin's house, on a rescue mission for the stuffed hippo Luke had left behind 2 days earlier. We got there a couple of minutes before Caitlin got home from picking Bethany up at preschool, so we waited for them on the porch, where I experienced a mothering first: I gave my sweatshirt to Luke because he was cold.
Now, this isn't the first time I have knowingly given up my own comfort or well-being in favor of his. That is just part of being a parent and it started long before he was born! But I had to appreciate this particular example because I can't tell you how many times, even as an adult, my mom has given up her jacket or sweater so I could be warm, willingly taking my place as the cold one. Granted, she usually had to do that because I lost or forgot my own sweatshirt or insisted I wouldn't be cold, while this obviously wasn't a choice of Luke's, but I've always appreciated my mom's willingness to sacrifice for her kids. She always did it without hesitation, whether we deserved it or not. That is what made her such a great mom: I knew she loved me, she wanted me to be happy, and she would do anything for me. This little seemingly insignificant moment today reminded me that I get to be that for my own child now and I'm so grateful that I have an example like my mom to follow. My goodness it's a tough act to follow, but if I can even get close, my kids will at least always know there is someone who loves them and will always be there for them when they need it.
2 comments:
Crying happy tears, you sweet, sweet girl. I love you!
Those clouds are so cool! And I actually think I did know that about lobsters. Some scientists have claimed that lobsters are "biologically immortal," basically meaning they'll live forever if they're not injured or eaten or something like that. Also, older lobsters are more fertile than younger ones (a common theme in marine animals, turtles are another great example), so if their species become threatened the old ones should be protected. That's a problem with the endangered turtle rescue efforts - they focus on the babies. While that's still important, the main focus should actually be on the adults.
Um, I'm going to stop talking now.
Post a Comment