Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine's Day

Since Valentine’s Day fell on a Sunday this year, I decided it would be fun to make it a nice day at home. I had a really good time planning it and actually spent much more time on it during the week previous than I expected to, but I didn’t mind. It was much more fun than homework!


On Saturday morning, Jeff had a surprise waiting for me when I got home from work. When I opened the fridge I found this inside:



Jeff had cut up a Lean Pocket and an Eggo Waffle box while I was at work to create this cute little dog box. And as usual, he found a very sweet card and wrote some very sweet things in it. The card told me to look in the freezer where I found a pint of my favorite frozen yogurt. I ate the whole thing right away. I love my husband.


That night, I gave Jeff the gift I made him because I was so excited to have finally finished it and I figured since he gave me mine early, I could do the same. I made him a board game with trivia questions about us and our relationship ("Where was your spouse born?", "What movie was playing in the background when we first met?", etc.). Each of the trivia cards has a coordinating picture on the back ("What has been your spouse's worst injury?" with a picture of Jeff all wrapped up after his motorcycle accident on the back, etc.) and the chance cards are things that have actually happened since we've been together ("You spend hours putting together a book of the blog posts from our first year of marriage. Go ahead 3 spaces.", etc.)



A close up of the box. I bought the game Encore from Deseret Industries for $2 and covered the box and board.
The game pieces, dice, and cards inside the box
The game board. I asked my friend and trusty creative adviser, Jackie, if I should put hearts or dots in the white space. We agreed hearts would look cuter, but the hearts on my stencil ended up being really ugly so I had to go with the dots.

Yesterday morning, I got up early and made a cheesy little Valentine for Jeff and left it and a card on my pillow for him. Then I made him breakfast in bed. I was planning on making my first attempt at an omelet, but then the beloved breakfast burritos Jeff used to make in Guatemala came up in a conversation a couple of days beforehand so I made him one just the way he likes it.



That's a delicious Lindt Lindor Truffle wrapped up inside that "bomb."

Not the most flattering picture. His mouth was full of Valentine's breakfast goodness.

We had a nice day at church. We brought cookies with Valentine’s M&M’s in them for our Sunday school class. They were great and very willing to participate. They’re awesome!


We played the game I made Jeff after church and that night I made the dinner I had been planning: steak w/ cognac sauce (minus the cognac), salad, and homemade rolls. I was planning on making chocolate mousse for dessert, but that failed miserably and was a waste of time. We ended up having ice cream with raspberries and chocolate shavings. Delicious! The dinner didn’t quite live up to the hype. It was good, but something that would’ve taken less time probably would’ve been just as good and I would have had more time to spend with my husband. Oh well. I’ve learned my lesson. And luckily, we have today off so I get to spend all day with him!





3 comments:

Shelley said...

Wow, you guys are so stinkin creative!! Cute!!

jeanine said...

You guys are so cute! I'll have to send you a super easy chocolate mousse recipe that I use! It's Rich's favorite!

Heidi said...

My favies of this post:
1. That you ate all the frozen yogurt immediately (that's my girl!)
2. That super duper cute box Jeff made you. Gotta love a guy who isn't afraid to make dorky-lovie-dovie stuff...and a dog, no less, he really must have been thinking only of you there!
3. The adorable pic of Jeff sleeping next to the card. so sweet. I'll bet his mom will want a copy of that one :)
4. That cool game-I can't wait to read the cards and look at the pictures!