Monday, December 10, 2012

Dodge Ball, Pancakes, Paddle Boats, and Pigeons

November 16, 2012

Okay, now that Luke is FINALLY over 3 weeks of bronchitis and the flu (at the SAME TIME) and I am no longer a nervous wreck worrying about him and feeling sorry for him, it's time for some catch up! (And don't worry, the past 3 weeks weren't quite as miserable as they sound. Luke is an inexplicably happy sick kid. I never know how sick he is until something convinces me to bring him to the doctor and I find out he has Bronchitis AND the flu. I don't know any other kid who, immediately after receiving a diagnosis like that, can be found running down the hall of the doctor's office with a huge smile on his face!)

A few weeks ago, on Friday night (a.k.a. date night!), Jeff and I went to a new indoor trampoline park in Houston called Cosmic Jump. It. Was. AWESOME. And since it was Friday night, the whole place was black lit. Even better! 

(from the company website - I forgot my camera)

Jeff and I have resigned ourselves to the fact that we will probably be spending date night acting like fools (and having a freakin' BLAST while we're at it) surrounded by pre-teens until the day we die. Honestly, we can't understand why we always find ourselves alone in this, playing hard while all of the other adults in the immediate vicinity sit on the sidelines and watch. Can't they see how much fun they're missing out on??

We joked about how when Luke is a pre-teen and teenager, we probably still won't be able to resist participating in these kinds of things, but we'll have to keep our distance, giving him and his friends plenty of space, while we find our own little corner to play our hearts out in, you know, so we don't embarrass the poor kid ... but seriously.

Anywho, when we arrived at Cosmic Jump and got in line to sign our waivers, a group of about fifteen 11 and 12-year-old boys stormed in behind us babbling excitedly. At first we groaned quietly to each other, lamenting the fact that we would have to share the trampolines with all of these crazy kids, and yet laughing at ourselves knowing we were the true imposters here. Little did we know, those boys were about to totally make our night!

[I forgot my camera, but I grabbed a couple of pictures off of the company website...]

Long trampolines. Jeff decided to try a flip, unsure if it would end badly. 10 minutes later, he was coming incredibly close to completing 3 full flips in a row! That ridiculous natural athlete husband of mine! It would be obnoxious if it weren't so attractive! Jeff acted impressed when I did a cartwheel into a somersault.

Basketball courts. Jeff was dunking like a madman. I ... occasionally got one in the net.

And my personal favorite: Dodgeball. This was hands down the best part of the whole night as we played game after intense game with about 10-15 12-year-olds and a few high-schoolers. Funnest thing I've done in a while!

We split ourselves into two equal(ish) teams for each game and filled the 3 trampolines on either side of the center line. Jeff and I took the same trampoline on the close side of the court every time and a particularly skilled 12-year-old dodgeball player almost always took the trampoline opposite us. This kid was the last man standing on his team multiple times. He was a skinny, squirrely little guy and he and I raced for one of the two dodge balls between us at the start of every game (Jeff easily beat us both to the other ball). If we ever got our hands on it at the same time, it went to me, cause the little gentleman wouldn't fight a girl for the ball. I, on the other hand, had no problem ripping it out of his hands.

And then the game was on! I'm pretty sure I hadn't played dodgeball since 4th grade PE. Funnest. Game. Ever. It was hilarious how Jeff was pretty much the #1 target, while I, the only girl on the court, probably had 1/10th of the balls hurled at me that he did. Of course, what the boys didn't anticipate was that that resulted in me being the last member of my team left on the court about 4 different times. Then, the three or four boys left opposite of me didn't know what to do. Whenever my little friend was left alone on his side of the court, everyone on our team threw one ball after another, as fast and as hard as they could to get him out, but when it was me, my opponents all hesitated, each holding a red ball and just staring at me for the first couple of seconds, hoping they wouldn't have to be the first one to throw. The first ball would just get sort of lobbed at me, followed by one slow ball at a time until someone realized they really needed to get me out in order to end the game and get everyone else back on the court, so they would give it a little more of an effort. So funny! Sweet that 12-year-olds would be so gentlemanly though!

November 17, 2012


The next morning, we had pancakes for breakfast ...


.. and then packed lunches and headed out to use the rest of the Living Social that Caitlin and I had started at Hermann Park two weeks before. It was a Saturday, so the paddle boats were open this time and we still had another coupon for 4 small ice creams to use!


Meanie Jeff chased the poor ducks. He's much stronger than me, so I was pretty much powerless to stop him, but at least my protests convinced him not to run them over!


This big kid steered us around the lake, with a little help from his dad.


Peddling these things is a workout! Whenever Jeff stopped peddling, I would realize just how little I was helping. Good thing my man's got some strong legs!

Luke's main objective was to go under the bridge ("tunnel") as many times as possible.

We fed the ducks from our boat.

Tommy Boy, anyone? Jeff and I were laughing so hard!


Sepia-toned lovin'

Oh, these guys. I have no idea why they choose to make their ridiculous antics so public, but I'm glad they do. It's extremely entertaining! Oh, and can someone please explain to me why some of them wear tails?!?

Drawing in the dirt with a stick at lunch time.


He really didn't want to eat his sandwich. Until he saw dessert ...

I knew from our last visit that the vanilla ice cream at this place (the only flavor they have) has kind of an interesting flavor, so we brought some toppings from home to help it out.

Coughing on his ice cream. Poor kid. Can't seem to avoid a lovely case of bronchitis this time of year.

Feeding the ducks some more ...

And the pigeons. They were more fun!

And they were NOT shy!


The nice lady in the background gave Luke some popcorn to feed to the pigeons. He thought for a second, and then ate it himself.

Heading home.

HEB gas on the way home. YES!!! I don't even remember the last time I saw gas for under $3!!

When we got home, I found a couple of tubes of bubbles in the door of the car, left over from our friends' Steve and Courtney's Wedding back at the beginning of September. Luke insisted on using them right away!

Luke's (completely ineffective) blowing technique.

He's a fast learner.

So proud!
November 18, 2012
It was my turn to cook for the fam on Sunday, so they all came over to our house after church.

Luke always loves having his cousins over to play. Oh, and if you were wondering, the red mark on his face is a bite mark. There was a little misunderstanding with one of the little girls in nursery that day.

The treats I made for dessert. Both amazing! Recipes here and here.

No comments: