Thursday, September 20, 2012

This Weekend Brought to You By Living Social and Lake Somerville

June 8, 2012

The deals you can get on sites like LivingSocial and Groupon are AMAZING! Most of you already know that by now, and I myself have had plenty of experience with these fabulous savings, but even I was pretty floored by this deal: 2 Adult and 2 Children tickets to The Health Museum, $10 Gift Certificate to Prima Pasta restaurant, 2 small frozen yogurts at Marble Slab (a.k.a. "The Totally Overpriced Ice Cream Shop"), and $5 off purchase at the museum gift shop, all for $15! SOLD! This all made for one awesome, fun-filled Friday for our family (have I mentioned before how much I LOVE that Jeff has every other Friday off of work??) ...

First, the museum:
Luke thinks this heat-activated wall is so cool!

Finding out how unique Jeff is.

Ah (or more accurately, Aaaaahhh!!), the screaming booth, probably our favorite part of the health museum. Who doesn't want to shut themself in a booth and scream as loud as they possibly can every once in a while??
Luke remembered from our last visit what this booth is for and he was more than game to step up to the plate in our family competition for loudest scream. Ultimately, he took home the bronze.

I gave my scream everything I had and crushed Jeff's 115+ decibel record from our previous visit with a reading of 117+ decibels! I thought I had it in the bag and Jeff was nervous, but then came this ...

A 118 decibel scream. Unbelievable. And the gold medal goes to Mr. Fisher.

A floating apple?

Nope. Just an illusion. Poor Luke was so confused.

A highlight of my day: Jeff trying to lean in for a closer look at this replica of the human eye and smacking his nose on the plastic dome he didn't know was there. Hiiiilarious!



This guy can JUMP!

This one can too! Just not quite as high. He wants to be just like his daddy.

Mind game. The more relaxed mind wins!

I went for the intimidation tactic. It didn't work.

Don't touch the coil! And it's tougher than it looks! That coil was twisting around and around in circles the entire time!

Concentration.

Standing

And the jump - at least I reached the next button!

We went for a little walk through the gardens outside the museum.



Next stop, Prima Pasta. It was GOOOOD!

They started us off with a ton of delicious warm bread!

My meal. So tasty and fresh!

These cute boys shared a MASSIVE calzone and pizza that was just as big!

"Special Exhibit." That's me!

And Luke too!

Aaaand on to Marble Slab for dessert! Can you believe we did all of this for just $15?!


Back home, we all settled in for a few games of Mario Kart on the Wii.



Such a good - Nay, A GREAT day! :)

 June 9, 2012

And the very next morning, it only got better, with a whole day of boating!

GIANT spider camping out in the boat when we got it out of storage. Talk about heebie jeebies! Jeff insisted it would fly off in the wind when we started driving. Yeah, INTO the boat! And guess what, I was right about that. After we had been in the boat for about 15 minutes, I watched it creep out from between the seats and get blown into the water as we were cruising over to the cove. In the future, all spider stow-aways will be disposed of immediately! Before we get into the boat!
Ben and Luke loving the wind in their faces as we cruise across the lake, headed for the cove.

Luke loves grandma!

We jumped right into wakeboarding! It was my second time and in between the two attempts, I watched a video that taught me the correct technique for getting up on a wakeboard, so this trip was much smoother and much less painful for me! I couldn't believe how easily I popped up on the board when I used the correct form! It took me a few tries to figure out which foot I wanted forward and how to stand once I was up so that I was stable, but it was a vast improvement from two weeks earlier!





Ben had a couple of crashes at the beginning, but he was up and running in no time!


His face! Amazing!

Jeff's turn!


I'm pretty sure Jeff was already getting a little air on this day. He's crazy. And amazing.

Directing Kyle (I was perfectly content sitting back and letting Kyle drive instead of learning myself).

Poor Jeff with a major headache after a big fall. I guess that's what you get for attempting big jumps on your second time out!

You okay, Dad?

Go, Kyle! This kid was  a total natural!

He had some great crashes too! I may have started timing my picture taking to catch the crashes for the pure entertainment value.



Renita's parents had a boat and she was a spectacular slalom skiier back then, but this was her first time on a wakeboard. We were all so impressed when she popped right up and started cruising along no problem on her very first attempt!
And this was Kyle's reaction when after that first run, she calmly let go of the rope and sunk slowly into the water with out even getting her hair wet! We were all screaming and cheering in amazement and disbelief!

Proof!

Haha, I think Renita was as surprised and excited as we were!





Isabel stepped up to give it a shot.

It didn't go so well. The poor girl is 5 foot nothing and the board was way too big for her, but she didn't go down without a fight!


Cute couple


Luke's favorite: swimming!



Luke was just as excited about tubing as he was last time!





Kyle and Isabel's ride was cut short by mechanical problems (turned out to be pieces of the old impeller caught where they didn't belong, which caused the boat to overheat!).

Getting a tan while we waited for the boat to cool down and be assessed.

These crazy kids came along for the ride when we decided to head back to the dock and get the boat inspected.




Luke has the best grandmas!



Luke tried to climb this pole while we waited for the boat to be pulled out of the water. Just about every time we go boating, Luke and I just take a few things from the boat to the car and then just hang out and let Jeff and whoever he recruits to help (Kyle, Ben, the husband in whatever family we take out with us) take care of everything else, including wiping the whole boat down inside and out. Jeff says my only job is to take care of Luke and he'll take care of the rest. I just feel like a princess, watching everyone else slave while I lounge in the air conditioned car or walk around playing with Luke and visiting with everyone!

Cute boy riding home in Becca's very girly car seat. Photo credit: Isabel.

One perfect day of boating down, many more to go!

No comments: