Sunday, May 29, 2011

Grandma's Becoming a Regular

My mom has seen Luke about once a month since the day he was born. If we don't come to California, she will come to us. The week after Mother's Day, Mom made her 4th (or 5th..not sure) trip to Flagstaff. She was in town from Thursday evening to Sunday morning. We love having her! She plays with and cares for Luke non-stop, takes us out for meals, has endless girl and mommy talk with me, babysits while Jeff and I go on dates, and is up for any adventure.

This picture documents a momentous occasion: My mom played a video game! My mom never plays video games. She's kind of terrible at them. I'm not much better, but I can play a handful of games (I guess I got a pinch of my dad's video game playing skills). Mom reluctantly agreed to play Wii Party with me and she actually didn't do too bad. It was a lot of fun.

On Saturday, we all went to the Aquaplex here in Flagstaff for a couple of hours. It was our first time there and it was so much fun. Luke loves the water. We had a great time playing with him and Jeff and I loved having a babysitter so that we could race down the two side by side water slides, swim around the lazy river, and go in the hot tub while Grandma played with Luke in the kiddie pool.

Luke couldn't get enough of the water. It took him a minute or two to get used to how loud it was in there, but once he got moving, he never wanted to stop.

Luke walked all around the shallow water in the kiddie pool. He also loved being passed around between the three of us really fast in the deeper water and going down the slide. For some reason the water in the kiddie pool was colder than anywhere else and after a while, Luke started to get cold so Grandma wrapped him up in a towel to warm him up, but as soon as he was warm, he was begging to get back in the water.

There were 5 of these little fountains of water shooting up out of the ground. Luke would walk right up to them and try to step on top of them. Once, Jeff and I stepped on 4 of the 5 so that all of the pressure went to the 5th fountain. It started shooting really high. Luke looked up at it for a second and then tried to walk right through it at full speed.

Luke loves slides

Luke and Grandma

Grandma babysat Luke both Friday and Saturday night so that Jeff and I could go out on a couple of dates. We were in heaven. On Friday night, we rode our bikes to TCBY for frozen yogurt (11.25 miles round trip) and on Saturday night, we went to dinner at Buffalo Wild Wings, TCBY (again) for dessert, and to the movie theater to see Thor (awesome movie).

Jeff with his mouth full at Buffalo Wild Wings

This game was at the front of the restaurant. The instructions weren't very clear, but Jeff went for it anyway. The way to play became clear when it was already too late and he didn't win a prize. Jeff knew he could win if he could just play again, but we had used our only dollar so he didn't get the chance. It was still haunting him a couple of days later.

On Sunday morning, I made cinnamon rolls (from scratch) for breakfast before church. Here is my lovely mama enjoying hers.

At church, Luke finally got his Christmas gift from a couple of the cutest kids in the ward. There is a family in our ward with a four-year-old girl and a two-year-old boy. They both love Luke. It all started when they found out Luke's name and they were excited because they have an older brother named Luke. They are always talking about "Baby Luke"(apparently he's a hot topic around their house) and they (especially the two-year-old, Mikey) come say hi and bring Luke toys to play with almost ever Sunday during Sacrament meeting. They even made Luke a Christmas present, but since we were out of town or sick for about 4 weeks straight around Christmas time, they never got to give it to him, but on Sunday, they remembered to bring it to church and Mikey proudly presented it to Luke.

It is the cutest, softest bean bag and game (That's Mikey in the picture on the button). There are a bunch of cute miniature items in there (bells, a Christmas ornament, a wooden spoon with batter on it, a baby bottle, a rose, a silver star, a snow flake, a button, etc.). Throughout sacrament meeting, I kept thinking I had seen every item and then I found something new. Luke loves it and I think I enjoyed it as much as he did.

Mom drove home to California after sacrament meeting. We were kinda sad to see her go. That night when Luke was being a little grumpy, Jeff said, "I miss your mom." She really is such a big help.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

That was such a fun weekend! Thank you for your wonderful hospitality EVERY time I want to come visit :) And for the scrumptious cinnamon rolls!