Sunday, May 29, 2011

College Graduate ... Almost

When I was about 8 months pregnant with Luke, I got a letter in the mail telling me that although I had finished all of my GE and major requirements, I was still 2 credits short of the total number of credits required to graduate from BYU. No big deal. I was in the process of finishing up my last few classes on campus and I was in school mode. I signed up for an online independent study class that I thought would be fun and fulfilling: Teachings of the Living Prophets. The assignments didn't seem too difficult and I figured I could just plow through the whole course in a month and be finished before Luke arrived.

Boy was I wrong. I got a good little start on the class before Luke was born, but I was nowhere near finished. And after our little boy joined the family and I began to adjust to new-mommy-hood, my class took a back seat to everything else going on in my life. I signed up for the class on May 24, 2010 and I was given a year to complete it. I never thought I would need an entire year to finish (I even applied for graduation in December and watched the date pass by, my class still incomplete), but on Monday, May 16, 2011, I took the final exam and finally finished my last class at BYU. I can't believe I put my classwork on the back burner for all this time, but it feels great to finally be done.

The day I took my final, Jeff met me at TCBY during his lunch break for some celebratory frozen yogurt cake (I've always wanted an excuse to buy one). They normally have small cakes, which would have been just the right size, but of course, on this day they only had the larger ones. Oh well. One monster Oreo yogurt pie it is!


I have since received my somewhat disappointing exam results. It had been months since I had read the assignments and taken the reading quizzes for the class, and yet I waited until the morning before my exam to study. I read over each of the ten 25-question reading quizzes only once before taking the final (I meant to read them each twice, but my babysitter fell through and I had to figure out that situation). Not surprisingly, I ended up with a 79% on the exam, giving me an A- in the class. What is so disappointing though, is that I only needed an 82% on the exam to get an A in the class (I missed it by 3 lousy questions on the 100 question exam!). And an A in the class would have bumped my overall GPA up from a 3.74 to a 3.75. Oh well. At least I'm done right? Now all that's left to do is wait to become an official college graduate in August and finally get that diploma!

No comments: