Monday, April 23, 2012

The CUTEST Little Rescue

Luke and I have been going on a LOT of bike rides lately, and on one of those rides back in the middle of March, we came across a little friend in the middle of the road. I was on the phone with my cousin Brooke when I noticed a tiny turtle shell in the middle of the street on Cypresswood Dr., about 3 feet from the curb. At first glance I assumed it was turtle roadkill. As sad as that is, it is weirdly common around here on certain roads with all of the little lakes around and I had already seen two poor smooshed turtles on Cypresswood that day. But I did a double take and immediately hit the breaks when I realized this little guy hadn't been hit yet! I walked over and picked him up, and this is the face I saw staring back at me:

I almost passed out from the cuteness! That little face! Those little feet! My heart melted!

Luke and I were on our way to Walmart to pick up a couple of things that we needed, so I let Luke meet our little friend and then I nestled him snugly on top of Luke's blanket in the back of the bike trailer (out of Luke's reach) for the rest of the ride. At Walmart, I poured a little water from my water bottle on him, concerned that he might be getting a little parched in the warm, sunny weather. We quickly grabbed our groceries and hurried back home, where I couldn't resist taking a few pictures of adorable little Rafael...

He was a little shy.

His little shell was only about 2.5 inches across.


It was so cute how his little feet and tail were all tucked in!


Luke really needed a nap, so I gave our little buddy a temporary home in our kitchen sink for a couple of hours until we could go back out and find a home for him.

I barely caught this shot of him craning his neck to see me before he tucked back into his shell to hide.

When Luke woke up, he immediately asked me, "hol? hol?" (asking to hold the turtle). He just giggled and giggled the whole time! Luke loved him (I'm not sure the turtle felt the same)!



When I mentioned the turtle likes water, Luke immediately ran out into the backyard and tried to turn on the water spigot for his new friend!

Kisses. This is when I took the poor turtle away, fearing he might have a heart attack if I didn't.

Jeff came home, and the three of us went out to find a nice home for Mr. Turtle.

Lovely.

Picking a spot.

Home sweet home.

Luke was a little sad to say goodbye to our new friend, but we explained that this was his home where his mommy and daddy live and he decided that was okay.

That night, Luke read his teddy bear a story at bedtime. One of the ways we get Luke to take a nap or go to sleep at night is to tell him his animals need a good nap and can he make sure they take one? He always says "yeah" and cuddles up next to them on his pillow. Such a sweet boy!




No comments: