About 3 1/2 days after the accident, while Jared was in the hospital, he posted this on a website called Calguns.net. It's the accident in his words and a warning to others about the dangers of carelessness with guns. Love you, Jared!
Put a .45 hp thru my femur :/ PICS!! Beware
I went to swap the barrel on my Glock 30, .45, Feb. 21st, 2012 around
6:15 PM. I had a loaded mag in the firearm and I was absolutely far to
careless to check. I racked the slide as I usually do to perform a
routine safety check, but did not bother to look into the chamber at all
as I simultaneously sorted a couple Glock parts on the table. I sat
down and pulled the slide lock down as you do to disassemble a Glock,
and even at this point I still neglected to do any brass check, etc. I
released the slide the rest of the way forward and rested the muzzle on
my left thigh. I pulled the trigger at point blank range with a Hornady
Defense 185 gr hp loaded up and BAM. Leg went crooked from the shattered
femur and the blood didn't hesitate to start flowing. I hit the floor,
out of my chair, landing on my back, holding my leg. My older sister
Kira, 23, who was visiting from Texas at the time, came rushing down
stairs after the loud shot and repeated screams. I won't forget the look
on her face. She was immediately shocked and very frightened, but most
importantly was determined and so ready to handle this to ultimately and
without doubt, save my life. She got on the phone with 911, where they
asked questions and told her what she needed to do. I was able to keep
my head on straight enough to answer all the operators questions
involving the discharged firearm and my current injury. Kira placed
several towels under my leg for support, elevation, and they turned out
to be what soaked up almost all the blood, hence the lesser amount in
the pictures. She took one towel and pressed it on the wound. She did
not want to press hard because she could see my pain but she knew what
she had to do and no one could have done it better. Had she not been
home or reacted as well as she did, I would not be here today. She saved
my life and I owe her til the day I die and so on. Kira I love you. You are my hero forever and for always
Brea PD arrived first, securing the firearm and running a few questions
by me, all the while Kira was still absolutely doing everything in her
power to take care of me, keeping pressure on the wound. Paramedics were
close behind them. My mother pulled into the driveway after running
errands at the same time the paramedics showed. She was also so shocked
and worried, but as you can see in the pictures, she came and helped me
more than she knows. I asked Kira to get her camera, which I know she
always has nearby, hence all the pictures. I struck a few poses to help
keep my own and family's chins up.
I was rushed to West Med, Santa Ana and put under almost immediately.
They stopped the bleeding long before performing surgery the following
night. The surgeon and his team ran a 20"+ rod up my femur, from my knee
after drilling out the marrow. (X-Rays Post #9) One rod, 4 screws
later, they stapled me back up and eventually I woke up, with many of my
amazing friends and family at my side.
FYI: I retyped the story to make more sense of it, no details have
changed of course, but I was drugged when I posted this firstly and
looking back, some things didn't make too much sense. Many questions
were asked over the last 800 or so responses that I wanted to clear it
up for those who don't feel like reading 20 pages of this stuff.
So in conclusion, I take full responsibility for this careless action.
Many reading this already know I broke all 4 firearm safety rules. Was
the most idiotic thing I have done in my entire life and it almost cost
me my own life. That is nowhere near the worst part. The fact that I
could have easily taken a loved one's life or even injured them to a
near fatal state, is enough to make me understand I would not have been
able to live with myself. I understand how lucky and blessed I am that
it turned out the way it did. I am beyond fortunate and will pay forward
the life given back to me, starting here on calguns. I posted this here
to show a very real situation to my fellow gunners what awesome power
these firearms have. I know you all know that, but this really
demonstrates what absolute carelessness with these guns can cause
through a very real story. I am beginning my volunteering process in
helping out at local ranges in firearm safety and will absolutely make
an example of myself. What I did has already taken place, and it is time
to move forward and take as many pros from the situation that can be
gained and shared. Please do not hesitate to share this story with any
and everyone, whether they just think I am an idiot or if they can
appreciate an honest mistake and use my story to better theirs or others
lives. I have learned my lesson and will teach it to as many as I can,
and your help is important. I firmly believe that my admitting and
sharing this mistake, though bad, could have been so much worse, will
keep at least one person from injuring themselves or others. That is
more than enough to make it all worth it.
I do want to make one thing very clear. I do not think I'm tough, a
badass, etc.. I made a huge mistake that we all know could have been so
much worse. I absolutely do not go around telling everyone, "Hey, I got
shot! ......Well... by me!" I am not seeking any type of attention here,
tho many have reached out without being asked to and I am forever
grateful. I struck a few light hearted poses because it is in my
personality to try and lighten up the mood for those around me,
especially my loved ones where I was absolutely the cause for them
seeing me like this. I figured it may make for a good laugh here and
there down the road, which it has, tho this situation is far from a
joke. I swallowed my pride and posted/documented my story of the biggest
screw up in my life to help out whoever I know it will.
I wanted to say I appreciate all those who reached out to me here and to
those outside of calguns. I was so surprised and was not expecting
anything like that, nor did I think I even wanted/needed it. At this
point, I do know where I would be mentally and even physically if it
wasn't for all of you and those caring people. This made such an impact
in my life and those around me and I am determined to ultimately make it
a positive learning experience for as many as possible. My family and
friends have been beyond amazing and I am forever grateful and am in
debt to them. Again, thank you everyone and please share this story to
whoever you think it may, or even may not benefit, you never know.
Thanks everyone!!
Jared
No comments:
Post a Comment