Last week, Jeff was on a business trip in Sunnyvale, CA from Tuesday to Friday. He went with his coworker, Kyle to implement some machinery at a company there. It turns out they probably didn't need to be there as long as they were in order to do the work that they did, but Jeff enjoyed a few meals out, staying at a nice hotel, using the exercise room, and watching basketball in HD.
Luke and I decided we didn't want to be bored at home while Jeff was gone so we spent Tuesday through Thursday down in Phoenix at Aunt Linda's house. Aunt Linda is the best. She is so welcoming and did everything she could to make us comfortable. And Luke loves her. He would crawl around looking for her and then grab her legs inciting her to pick him up (and she always complied).
Unfortunately, Luke seems to have finally entered the afraid-to-sleep-in-new-places stage. I thought we had gotten lucky, that Luke had decided to skip that stage, but come bedtime, Luke was reluctant to sleep in the new crib. When he ran out of formula and I made the mistake of leaving him in the crib to run downstairs and get more, he became absolutely hysterical. He was crying uncontrollably, even when I held him, spoke softly to him, rocked him, sang to him. Nothing helped. He finally calmed down after almost an hour, but he could only sleep if he was holding onto me or on top of me. He finally fell asleep in bed with me, gripping my leg, with his head on my knee, while I rubbed his little back. The poor little guy continued to let out convulsive little gasps in his sleep for a while. It was heartbreaking.
The morning before we drove down to Phoenix, I woke up with a hint of a sore throat, but after spending all night sharing a bed with a restless baby and getting no sleep, I woke up the next morning with a full blown cold - sore throat, stuffy nose, sinus pain, the works. Luke was sick too so the two of us were not at our best for the rest of our time in Phoenix.
Fortunately, we had plenty of family around to help take care of Luke and make the trip fun despite our illness. My mom and Mamal even drove out from California to join us on Wednesday. While we were there, we enjoyed Aunt Linda's delicious cooking, swam in the pool (Luke loved that and Grandma Lamb even brought him an adorable swim suit from Cali), went out to lunch and to the pet store to see the puppies with Grandma, went for a long walk on a beautiful day, and played with lots of toys and fun kids (Aunt Linda's grandkids that live in the area).
P.S. Luke slept significantly better the second night, but I still didn't catch up on my sleep because I stayed up late having a long chat with my Mom. It was worth it.
Here is Luke playing in the sink, turning the water on and off a couple of hours before we drove down to Phoenix. He insisted on sitting in the sink and I decided to let him have his fun.
So focused
At the pet store with Grandma visiting the puppies.
Luke was so happy to see the dogs even though he wasn't feeling well.
Out to a very tasty lunch with Grandma. Luke loves to drink out of a straw (or a water bottle, or a cup, or anything else for that matter)
We took these pictures of Luke in the cute swimsuit Grandma bought him after we got home.
Cute matching hat
Luke was a little extra touchy and whiny for a few days because he was sick. I don't remember exactly what happened here, but I do know the melt-down wasn't warranted.
2 comments:
It was fun to sneak in a little extra trip to see you Kira! Luke looks so cute in the sink! I can't wait to see your little family in a few weeks!
Hahaha I forget how much I love your humor Kira! I cannot wait to see you and your wee family in 2 weeks!!!!
Post a Comment