In no time, the apartment was empty and the movers drove away with all of our stuff. Jeff and I decided it was early enough that we would drive halfway to Flagstaff that night. We quickly cleaned up the apartment and headed out at around 3:30pm, me in the Accord and Jeff in the Jeep with Luke.
Less than an hour into our drive, we ran into a torrential downpour. It was crazy! The windshield wipers couldn't move fast enough to keep the giant drops at bay. It was very difficult to see. I just tried to stay close enough to Jeff that I could see and follow him so I didn't drift out of my lane. After a few minutes, we were out of it and Jeff called my cell. I thought he might be calling to ask me how I was doing after driving through a waterfall for the past 10 minutes, but I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised when the first thing he asked was how the Accord handled in the rain.
After a while, Luke started to complain that he was hungry and needed a diaper change so we pulled off to take care of him. It was insanely windy outside. When I tried to push open my car door, it pushed back and against my will, I fell back into my seat and the door slammed behind me. It was a pretty funny sight I'm sure. Before we got back on the road, Jeff had the bright idea to cover Luke's seat with a blanket in hopes he might sleep. It reminded me of when I had two parakeets and I used to cover their cage at night so they would sleep. And guess what? It worked like a charm. He slept through our dinner stop and all the way up until about 15 minutes before we arrived at our hotel in Kenab, UT. When Jeff found out that the hotel was charging us more than the online price, he used their Wi-Fi to make a reservation on my laptop and saved us $12. That's my husband!
The next morning, Jeff and I got up at 6am for the continental breakfast. We had been warned that we needed to get there early to avoid the big tour group that was staying at the hotel. We were the first ones into the room and it was a diverse and tasty selection. And as an added bonus, when e got back to our room, Luke snoozed contentedly in his carrier while Jeff and I got in another two hours of sleep. Such a good baby!
As soon as we were all packed up, we set out for Flagstaff. Luke was a great little traveler once again. We stopped once to change and feed him at the visitor's center at Glen Canyon Dam by Lake Powell. We only stopped one other time (at Denny's for lunch) before we arrived at our hotel in Flagstaff, and Luke slept through that stop.
As soon as we were all packed up, we set out for Flagstaff. Luke was a great little traveler once again. We stopped once to change and feed him at the visitor's center at Glen Canyon Dam by Lake Powell. We only stopped one other time (at Denny's for lunch) before we arrived at our hotel in Flagstaff, and Luke slept through that stop.
We were on track to arrive a little before check-in time at our hotel in Flagstaff so to kill time, we took a little detour just outside of town. We stopped by the Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument and the Wupatki National Monument. Unfortunately, it was very warm, bright, and windy outside - not ideal weather conditions for baby Luke - so we didn't spend much time exploring either one.
We checked into our hotel, which was an incredible find for the price, that afternoon. Luke suddenly became a VERY hungry little 7-week-old and ate 11 ounces in less than 2 hours! I guess he was going through a growth spurt.
The next morning, we got to go across the parking lot to a little cafe for our continental breakfast. Soon afterward, we got a call from the movers telling us they would meet us at our apartment at 10am. We quickly got ready (actually Jeff got most everything ready, while my movements were a little sloth-like for some reason) so that we could get to the main office of our apartment complex in time to fill out some paperwork before the movers arrived.
The next morning, we got to go across the parking lot to a little cafe for our continental breakfast. Soon afterward, we got a call from the movers telling us they would meet us at our apartment at 10am. We quickly got ready (actually Jeff got most everything ready, while my movements were a little sloth-like for some reason) so that we could get to the main office of our apartment complex in time to fill out some paperwork before the movers arrived.
We filled out all of the paperwork, got our keys, and spent about 10 minutes checking out our new apartment and trying to decide where everything would go before the movers pulled up outside. Unfortunately for the two guys that brought in all of our boxes and furniture, our apartment is on the second story. Unlike the guys that packed us up, they used dollies for everything.
By the time the movers had finished bringing everything in, it was past lunch time and we were hungry so we went to Olive Garden for soup, salad, and bread sticks. I decided that moving day was cause enough to celebrate by not being concerned with my calorie intake for the day. That, in addition to the fact that this would be the last day Gore would be paying for our meals, led to ordering an appetizer and dessert along with our meals - something we never do. I may have pigged out just a little bit.
After lunch, we headed back to our apartment to tackle the arduous task of unpacking all of our possessions. I was actually excited to do this. It was fun to organize all of our things in our shiny new apartment. In fact, we got so into it that we just ordered pizza for dinner instead of going out and I continued to work well into the wee hours of the morning after Jeff went to bed like a sane person. I only got two hours of sleep, but it was oh so satisfying to move closer and closer to our goal of having everything unpacked and tidy.
The next morning, Jeff went to the Wal-Mart to buy food for breakfast and lunch that day while I grabbed two more hours of sleep. Then, we jumped right back into unpacking and organizing. We spent virtually the entire day getting every last item into place, only taking time out to eat, go grocery shopping, and take the adorable pictures of Luke below. And by the end of the day, we were about 99.9% moved in (all that was left was to hang our pictures).
After lunch, we headed back to our apartment to tackle the arduous task of unpacking all of our possessions. I was actually excited to do this. It was fun to organize all of our things in our shiny new apartment. In fact, we got so into it that we just ordered pizza for dinner instead of going out and I continued to work well into the wee hours of the morning after Jeff went to bed like a sane person. I only got two hours of sleep, but it was oh so satisfying to move closer and closer to our goal of having everything unpacked and tidy.
The next morning, Jeff went to the Wal-Mart to buy food for breakfast and lunch that day while I grabbed two more hours of sleep. Then, we jumped right back into unpacking and organizing. We spent virtually the entire day getting every last item into place, only taking time out to eat, go grocery shopping, and take the adorable pictures of Luke below. And by the end of the day, we were about 99.9% moved in (all that was left was to hang our pictures).
On Sunday, Jeff hung all of our pictures around the house before church at 1:00, making us officially moved in. We also watched a Disney movie with Luke (our Sunday tradition). I had to take a couple of pictures of him looking adorable propped up on my side of the bed:
Jeff and I enjoyed our first week at church. We met some very nice people in our new ward and enjoyed all of the speakers and lessons. Luke made himself known by having a loud poopsplosion during Gospel Doctrine. That got everyone's attention and made a great first impression, I'm sure.
After church, I took pictures of the apartment. Here is a little tour:
No comments:
Post a Comment