We decided on Wednesday morning (August 11th) to fly out that night and my dad kindly paid for the ticket, knowing what a massive hit out bank account had taken just one day earlier when we bought our car.
Taking Luke through the airport alone was an interesting experience, but it went pretty smoothly. When we pulled up at the airport, Luke was crying in the back seat. I quickly changed him as Jeff unloaded my giant bag. Jeff ran my bag across the street and put it down right outside the airport door so I wouldn't have to carry it as far, but then I was on my own. I hobbled along, laden down with a massive duffel bag on one shoulder, a stuffed diaper bag and purse on the other shoulder, and Luke in his car seat in my hand. Luke was hungry so I sat down and fed him before checking my bag and going through security. I didn't think they would let me take a full bottle through security (I have since learned that they do. You just have to let them test it) so I dumped out what was left of it. After we got through security, I went to the bathroom and pumped a bottle for the plane, while rocking Luke in his car seat next to me in the handicap stall. Then, I changed him and went to our gate where they had just started boarding and got a gate check tag for the car seat. The timing actually worked out great.
It was Luke's first plane ride at 6 weeks old. I remembered what I had been told about feeding him at take off and landing and it worked like a dream. Luke did so great. He was perfectly content for the entire flight and slept for about half of it. Everyone around us was very impressed and relieved.
Luke and I arrived in Long Beach around 8pm. Dad met us at baggage claim and immediately got a big smile from Luke. When we got back to the house, Patrick, Ashley, Jared, and Kelsey were all sitting around the dining room table anxiously awaiting our arrival. They all met and held Luke and we all sat and talked for a while. Unfortunately, Luke and I were both tired so we took on the role of the party poopers and went to bed while everyone else stayed up to talk. Despite the fact that my parents had a perfectly good crib in the grandbaby room, I made Luke sleep in bed with me every night we were there because I missed Jeff so much.
I got up with Luke a couple of times during the night and by the time he woke up at 6am, I was tired. While Jeff was working on his thesis and I was on my own with Luke at night, Jeff still took Lukre in the mornings so I could get a couple more hours of sleep. Lucky for me, my dad offered to take Luke at night if I needed him too. I took him up on that offer that morning. When I had gotten enough sleep, I got up and started a fairly low-key day. Mom and I took Luke over to see Mamal and Papal. It was great to see them for a while and let Papal meet Luke for the first time. Cisco, their sweet little dog, seemed a little jealous of all of the attention he was getting. Then, Mom and I went to Yogurt Mania for some delicious yogurt and even more delicious toppings. That place has every topping you can think of! All kinds of candy and even little slices of cake! It's awesome!
That night, my good friend Shelley came for a visit. She met Luke and we caught up. There was something about her laugh that Luke loved. When she laughed, he got the cutest little grin on his face.
The next morning, Dad graciously took Luke at 5am so I could get a little more sleep before Mom and I went hiking with Kelsey's mom, Tabby at 7am. We hiked for over three hours. It felt great and Mom and Tabby were great company. As a result, Dad ended up babysitting for 5 1/2 hours. He said he wasn't used to multitasking with a baby so he didn't eat all morning until we got home. Poor Dad. But I'm pretty sure he still loved spending time alone with Luke.
That afternoon, I went with Mom over to our good friends, Rik and Dana's house. They were my Sunday school teachers when I was a teenager and I just love them! We were lucky that Rik was home too so we got to introduce Luke to both of them. We had a great visit.
For dinner, everyone except for Katrina, who had a birthday party to go to, drove down to Huntington Beach to eat at Ruby's at the end of the pier. Mom, Dad, Luke, and I picked Patrick and Ashley up on our way and enjoyed the drive with them. It was one of the few times Luke and I got to spend with those two during our visit. Jared and Kelsey met us down there.
It is always a bitter-sweet experience seeing the beach when I visit California. The beach was such a huge part of my life growing up and I've always loved it so much. It holds so many memories for me and I always forget how beautiful it is. I miss having it so close.
Unfortunately, it was pretty chilly and windy down there that night and that's always amplified on the pier so we couldn't dawdle on our walk to the restaurant or little Luke might freeze. I dressed him in his adorable hoodie and jeans, did my best to wrap him up in his blanket, held him close to me, and enjoyed the view from the pier as we made our way down to Ruby's. To my surprise, he actually fell asleep all snuggled up against my chest within a couple of minutes. The wind was pretty intense, but apparently Luke was as comfortable as could be.
Ruby's was as delicious as I remembered it and I loved being there with my family.
The next morning I found out just how spoiled I had been with so many babysitters around. Mom and Dad went with Patrick and Ashley to the LA temple and I was left alone with Luke. I had a short list of things I wanted to get done that morning, but I didn't even manage to get a shower. On top of having no help, Luke was exceptionally needy that morning. I could hardly put him down.
Finally, my relief arrived and I was able to take a shower and get ready for the day. That evening, Luke and I went over to Shelley's mom's house to spend some time with Shelley, Tygue, and Shelley's mom, Joanne. I hadn't seen Tygue since my wedding so it was really fun seeing him again. Luke was a little fussy for some reason and he went through 3 diapers in the hour we were there (one of which leaked poo on Joanne's leg), but we still had a great time, reminiscing and catching up.
Then, we joined our friends Ally and Atom at Golden Spoon for some frozen yogurt. I LOVE Golden Spoon. I used to go at least every other day while visiting my family, but lately there have been so many new yogurt places opening up that I rarely go anymore. The new places are great too, but nothing compares to Golden Spoon. Apparently one just opened in Orem. Of course Golden Spoon comes to Utah right after I leave! Oh well, it's probably for the best. I might have blown a little too much moolah there.
Anyway, Ally and Atom are such a fun couple and we all had fun talking and laughing outside Golden Spoon until it was almost 10:00 and I had to get Luke home.
The next day was Sunday and Stake Conference. In the morning, Mom and I gave Luke a bath in the bathroom sink. Mom tried to make it a little more comfortable for him by lining the sink with washcloths, but Luke is particularly sensitive to hard surfaces. He cried the first time I laid him on a changing table in a public restroom with only a folded receiving blanket. Since then, I always use his changing pad and fluffy blanket. This sink was no exception. He cried the entire time. Fortunately, with both of us there, we were able to bath him at a record speed with me washing his body and Mom washing his hair at the same time. We got him all dried off and dressed in his adorable church clothes. Then we wrapped him in a blanket and gave him a bottle. He was much happier, but as he sucked on his bottle, he watched Mom and I suspiciously like he couldn't trust us after what we just put him through.
Stake Conference was wonderful. Every single speaker did a fantastic job. It was so nice to finally sit through an entire sacrament meeting and to hear other people's testimonies. Jeff and I had spent the first few weeks of Luke's life going to our Sunday school class where we were the ones teaching and then just enough of sacrament meeting to take the sacrament before heading home. But now that Luke is a little older and we can bring a bottle for him, we are able to stay for all three hours each week. Stake conference is only two hours, but about halfway through, Luke finished his bottle and needed a diaper change. I was happy to find that the speakers could be heard in the mothers lounge over the PA system. I had an extra bag of milk for Luke, but it was cold and the water in the sink wouldn't get warm enough to heat it up. It was no problem though because Luke and I had a wonderful time sitting in a comfy rocking chair, listening to the speakers as I fed him.
After conference was over, it was so fun to walk around and show Luke off to friends from my old ward and stake. He was very popular.
Afterward, we went over to Mamal and Papal's house for lunch. Mamal had prepared a very tasty lunch including a delicious homemade chicken salad and some of my favorite fruits and vegetables. Aunt Debi and Uncle Russ were already there when we arrived and as always I had a wonderful time spending all day with my awesome family.
Luke and I enjoyed one more relaxing day in California before heading back home. In the morning, Mom and I went hiking and a little later we went for one last trip to Yogurt Mania, where I piled on the toppings. I seriously considered getting a piece of cake, but just couldn't bring myself to put cake on my fat free frozen yogurt. I did put peanut M&M's on there though. Yes, I am aware that that makes absolutely no sense.
Later that night Katrina and Jared were playing with Luke on the floor. Katrina started eating out of a bag of caramel mini rice cakes and Jared said, "Katrina, don't eat those so close to the baby! He's gonna start begging for people food!" He was joking, of course. That kid cracks me up!
Early the next morning, my mom took Luke and I to the airport. As much fun as I had had spending the past few days with my family, I was so excited to finally be getting back home to see Jeff. We had really missed him. It was sad to say goodbye to my Mom at the airport. I miss her and the rest of my family and I wish they could be a little more a part of Luke's life. He loves them.
Once again, Luke did great on the plane and was very popular with the flight attendants. He was calm and happy the entire time.
In the Salt Lake airport, a nice man with his son saw how many things I was juggling and got my heavy bag off of the conveyor belt for me and even carried it all the way out to the curb where Jeff was waiting for me. I love meeting nice strangers.
Luke and I had a glorious reunion with Jeff. We were so happy to see him again. And to make things even better, we stopped at Jason's Deli to use our last gift card from my Mom on the way home. We got sandwiches and free soft serve ice cream and when we had money left over on our card, we spent it on the most delicious chocolate chip and white chocolate macadamia nut cookies.
Later that night Katrina and Jared were playing with Luke on the floor. Katrina started eating out of a bag of caramel mini rice cakes and Jared said, "Katrina, don't eat those so close to the baby! He's gonna start begging for people food!" He was joking, of course. That kid cracks me up!
Early the next morning, my mom took Luke and I to the airport. As much fun as I had had spending the past few days with my family, I was so excited to finally be getting back home to see Jeff. We had really missed him. It was sad to say goodbye to my Mom at the airport. I miss her and the rest of my family and I wish they could be a little more a part of Luke's life. He loves them.
Once again, Luke did great on the plane and was very popular with the flight attendants. He was calm and happy the entire time.
In the Salt Lake airport, a nice man with his son saw how many things I was juggling and got my heavy bag off of the conveyor belt for me and even carried it all the way out to the curb where Jeff was waiting for me. I love meeting nice strangers.
Luke and I had a glorious reunion with Jeff. We were so happy to see him again. And to make things even better, we stopped at Jason's Deli to use our last gift card from my Mom on the way home. We got sandwiches and free soft serve ice cream and when we had money left over on our card, we spent it on the most delicious chocolate chip and white chocolate macadamia nut cookies.
1 comment:
awwww! This made me miss you guys so much!
Post a Comment