My mom and Katrina were the first ones to arrive on Thursday night. My mom came bearing gifts - very exciting gifts. She gave Jeff and I each a very generous stack of cash as a graduation present. Of course, we would promptly spend it on some necessary expenses we would incur in the near future instead of something fun and frivolous, but we are extremely grateful to my mom for her thoughtfulness and generosity. We'll be sure to do or buy something fun and frivolous when we can afford it. The five of us (Mom, Katrina, Jeff, Luke, and I) had a tasty dinner at California Pizza Kitchen, again courtesy of Mom (thank you!).
Mom and Katrina hung out at our place and played with Luke for a while that night after dinner before leaving for Aunt Brenda's house (2 blocks away) for the night.
The next morning, Jeff, being such a good sport, got dressed up, helped me grab a bunch of props, and drove over to Aunt Brenda's for a little family photo shoot. Katrina was the photographer and she did an awesome job. My mom, not known for her photography skills, had the very important task of holding up the black back-drop (one of the window shades from our apartment). I was so grateful to have such willing and talented participants to help us get so many great pictures. They turned out way better than I expected! Luke is 5 1/2 weeks old in these pictures.

After the photo shoot, Mom, Katrina, and I went to the LDS Distribution Center to buy Luke a blessing outfit. There was only one option for boys, but it was very cute so I wasn't disappointed. Then, we went across the street to the Rumbi Island Grill for lunch before Mom had to drive to Salt Lake to pick Dad and Jared up at the airport.
If you recall, Dad drove up with Mom when we thought I was in labor the first time, and had to go home the night before Luke was born. He was so bummed and has been so excited to finally meet his grandson for the first time ever since. Dad took Luke as soon as he walked in the door. It became clear pretty quickly that Luke loves his grandpa. He was just starting to smile for a reason, rather than just randomly and he smiled a whole lot for his grandpa during this visit.
If you recall, Dad drove up with Mom when we thought I was in labor the first time, and had to go home the night before Luke was born. He was so bummed and has been so excited to finally meet his grandson for the first time ever since. Dad took Luke as soon as he walked in the door. It became clear pretty quickly that Luke loves his grandpa. He was just starting to smile for a reason, rather than just randomly and he smiled a whole lot for his grandpa during this visit.
After a few minutes we all headed over to Aunt Brenda's house where we chatted and Mom made us a yummy taco dinner. Dad, of course, hogged Luke all to himself and since he had just arrived, my mom didn't argue, but as time went on, who got the baby became quite a struggle between the two of them.
After dinner, Jeff and I left for our very first night out alone since Luke was born! Grandma and Grandpa happily babysat while we enjoyed a fun date at Nickel City. It's crazy that Luke had only been a part of our family for less than six weeks, yet it felt so strange to be out without him. I barely remember what life was like before he was born.
The last time Jeff and I went to an arcade together was when we were dating and it was not a good experience. I was a sore loser. I lost to Jeff at EVERY game and I got a little sick of it. It was pretty embarrassing to have my lack of video game skills on display all night. Jeff has refused to go back with me ever since. But we had coupons to Nickel City and I promised Jeff that I was just so happy to be spending time alone on a date with him that there was no way I would get into a bad mood. I told him he could remind me of my promise if I started to break it and he agreed to go.
The arcade had an air hockey table. I like that game. My grandma had an air hockey table at her old house back when we were kids. Jeff and I played a game and guess what? I won! I was so excited that I actually beat Superman at something. In fact, I kind of kicked his butt. The final score wasn't too embarrassing, but I started out up by 4.
Unfortunately, I let Jeff convince me to play best 2 out of 3. Note to self: next time, quit while you're ahead. I started the second game strong and thought I had it in the bag until Jeff made a comeback and beat me 6 to 7. We played a few other games before the tie-breaker, which I totally choked on and ended up losing 4-7. Bummer. Oh well. At least I had a few minutes of glory.
The next morning, Mom and Dad came over early - as soon as I called my dad to let him know that we were awake. We all just hung out for a couple of hours before deciding to go to a near-by park to take family pictures. I bravely decided to try squeezing into my old jeans and they fit! Sure, they were a little snug, but I was able to zip them up and button them and that's what counts right? After tasting the glory of wearing regular pants again, there was no way I was going back to maternity. So even though my jeans and shorts were a bit tight for a while, I was not about to take a step backwards. All of my maternity clothes were immediately packed into a box in the closet, not to be seen again until the next pregnancy.
After we left the park, a few of us went to see Inception - good movie! When we got back to our apartment, I had to pump about 12 oz. of milk since I hadn't pumped or fed Luke since that morning (the babysitters had been using the bags in the fridge). Sadly, I was stuck in my bedroom endlessly pumping when a party started in my living room. Mamal and Aunt Debi arrived and met Luke for the first time, all of my family was out there and Doug and Tricia came over. They were all chatting and laughing while I listened from the other room. Finally, I got to join them and it was so fun to have so many people I love all together in the same room.
For dinner, some of us decided to have left-overs at Aunt Brenda's house, while Mamal took everyone else out to a restaurant. While we were over at Aunt Brenda's, Brooke came over and we had a fabulous time visiting with her. She's wonderful.
After a while, Jeff had had more than his fill of socializing with my family. He loves them, but spending too much time visiting with anyone wears him out. I was in the guest room feeding Luke when he came in and collapsed on the bed in exhaustion. I told him he could go home and he happily did just that. I stayed a little longer so that our family friends, the Sparks, whom my dad had invited over, could meet Luke. They are an awesome family and we had a great time visiting with Larry, Stefanie, and Sydnee before I walked home with Luke to find Jeff asleep on the couch watching the Bugs Bunny Movie.
Sunday was Luke's blessing day, the reason everyone had come. We discussed a few things we thought would be important to include in the blessing, dressed Luke in his cute blessing attire and walked the 30 yards to our church building. It was Jeff's and my last time teaching our Sunday school class so I made chocolate chip cookies and we taught the class outside in the grass. We've had a great time teaching for the past several months and have had some great kids in our class. We'll miss them. I'm so grateful that we were given such an awesome calling. I wonder what our callings will be in our new Flagstaff ward.
We had an awesome crowd of friends and family show up to listen to the blessing in sacrament meeting. It was so fun to see everyone and have so many great men stand in the circle with Jeff. We only wish Jeff's family could have been there.
Of course, Grandpa took Luke the second we all sat down, but I made him give him back before it was time for Jeff to take him up for the blessing. My mom took great notes on what Jeff said. This is almost word for word:
"Luke, we bless you with a strong and healthy body. We bless you that you will be strong in the gospel and that you will always find time to study and that you will develop a love for and read the scriptures. We bless you that you will be a leader and an example to your future siblings ans that you will show love for them through simple acts of service. We bless you that you will see the Lord's hand in your life, that you will remember and record these events and they will be a help to you during the hard times. We bless you that you will serve an honorable, full-time mission and that when you return home, you will find a wife who will love and support you, that you will both be strong in the gospel, and that you will marry her in the temple. We bless you to surround yourself with people who have high moral standards, both members and non-members alike. And that you will use your talents to serve in the Church and that you will heed the promptings of the Holy Ghost throughout your life."
It was an incredible feeling to listen to my husband, a worthy priesthood-holder, give such a beautiful blessing to our son. I am so grateful to have the gospel in my life and that our son will grow up with it in his.
After church, we all went over to Aunt Brenda's house for a little get-together with everyone that came. (Thank you so much for hosting this entire weekend Aunt Brenda!) We spent all day visiting with wonderful friends and family and eating delicious food (far too much in my case). It was a great day.
I got several offers, but Aunt Debi spoke first.
The next morning, Mom and Katrina came by for one last visit before they drove back to California (Dad and Jared flew back the night before because they had to work). Luke was in a very smiley mood as I had just been singing him the Winnie the Pooh theme song, which he loves (now he loves Puff the Magic Dragon even more). It was sad to see them go, but I knew with a lure as cute as Luke, they would be back soon. And I must admit, after having all of the visitors holding my baby almost every minute they were here, I was glad to have him all to myself for a while. I missed my little guy.
No comments:
Post a Comment