Friday, January 29, 2010

Color Me Mine

On Saturday night, Jeff and I revisited Color Me Mine, the place where you pick out and paint your own ceramics. You may remember the dragon plate Jeff painted the first time we went. It still has to face out in the drying rack so the dragon can be seen every time it gets washed. I would never have thought Jeff could out do his original work, but he didn’t disappoint the second time around. This time, he had the brilliant idea of painting a treasure map on his plate. He did it all free-hand based on a few ideas he found online. It was also his idea that we stop by Michaels beforehand to look at stencils since Color Me Mine doesn’t have too big of a selection. He didn’t find anything he could use, but I found some really cute fairytale/princess stencils. I decided it would be a good idea to make a cute girly plate to counteract the boyish dragon and treasure map plates.


The place was really crowded. It was two for one night and a lot of people were taking advantage of it. It was funny being surrounded by so many couples in every stage of the dating relationship, some in the awkward beginnings, others well on their way to an engagement. One couple in particular sounded like they were at the beginning and it was pretty awkward. They were sitting right behind us. My favorite quote of the night came from the guy. He said to the girl, “You know why I like you?” She asked, “Why?” His response: “Cause you’re cool and tall.” He said this in all seriousness. Another great quote of the night from another couple choosing their pieces from the shelf next to us: Guy: “You could fit all kinds of stuff in here!” Girl: “Yeah, like a baby!”


We had a great time painting for a couple of hours, but the night took a turn for the worse when I started getting hungry and I didn’t get any food. I didn’t anticipate us being there for 4 hours! I finally got hungry enough to drive across the parking lot to get a sandwich, but when I got there, I realized I hadn’t brought any money. It wasn’t until I started feeling a little sick and getting a headache (pregnancy hungry isn’t like normal hungry!) that I decided to try again. Being that hungry didn’t put me in a good mood and it certainly didn’t help when I left again only to find that all of the restaurants around were closed. We stayed another hour before I could go home and get something to eat. I was a little grumpy. Poor Jeff. It was still nice to get out and do something aside from another movie marathon though. I didn’t quite finish my plate before they closed at 11:00 so I went back Monday to finish up. Tonight, we got to pick up our finished plates. They turned out great!




If you look closely, you might notice that one of the islands is called “Hooker Point.” Jeff just copied it off of one of the pictures he got off of the internet without thinking about it. I can’t wait till our son is eating off of that plate one day and figures out what a hooker is.

My cute princess plate pre-kiln
The final product

My finished plate

3 comments:

caitliem said...

I 100% understand about the pregnancy hunger. It's the worst! The plates are cute!

The Lymans said...

psh.. I work at Michaels. Should have come when I was working, I would have givin you a discount. :)

Heidi said...

ha ha I loved the comments from the dating people! It was so lovely to see you this weekend Kira. Tell your wonderful husband that I love him and thank him for taking such good care of you!