Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Day at the Zoo

It has come to Jeff's and my attention that freezing cold Utah weather and pregnancy do not make for very exciting weekends. Jeff and I are pretty wimpy when it comes to the cold and snow so outdoor activities are pretty much out of the question in January here in Provo. So we had limited options even before I got pregnant. And now, they have been narrowed down even more. We can no longer go jump on the trampolines at Jump On It or go indoor rock climbing at the Quarry (two of our favorites). Without all of our favorite physically active activities, movies in the house and at the dollar theater are pretty much all that's left unless we get creative. With Martin Luther King Jr. day, we had a 3-day weekend last weekend and we managed to deviate from the usual movie and TV on Dvd marathons a little bit.

On Saturday, I planned one of my fun and incredibly dorky dates: A day at the "zoo." I tried to come up with a bunch of zoo-themed activities for Jeff and I to do. I bought Animal Crackers and Circus (Zoo) Animal cookies for snacks and made some adorable lion cupcakes (much to the delight of our Sunday school class the next morning). I found a track of animal sounds to set the mood, but forgot to play it. First, we took an animal trivia quiz that was way harder than we thought it would be! I only got 6/10 right and Jeff got 5 right. Try it yourself!
1. I have over 40,000 muscles in my long nose.
Who am I?
a. Gharial
b. Elephant
c. Giraffe
d. Hippotamus
2. I can practically spend the entire day in the
water. Who am I?
a. Giraffe
b. African Elephant
c. Black Rhinoceros
d. Hippotamus
3. How high can a leopard jump?
a. 6 feet
b. 10 feet
c. 20 feet
d. 36 feet
4. How fast can a bald eagle dive?
a. 30 miles per hour
b. 50 miles per hour
c. 75 miles per hour
d. 100 miles per hour
5. True or False? Flamingos are naturally pink in color.
6. What is the longest snake in the world?
a. rattle snake
b. anaconda
c. viper
d. python
7. True or False. No two zebras are the same. Each
has a different stripe pattern.
8. How much does an elephant eat every day?
a. 50-100 pounds of vegetation
b. 100-300 pounds of vegetation
c. 300-500 pounds of vegetation
d. 600-800 pounds of vegetations
9. How long can a camel go without water?
a. 3-5 days
b. 10-12 days
c. 2-3 weeks
d. 4-6 weeks
10. What is the largest zoo in the continental U.S.?
a. San Diego, California Zoo
b. St. Louis, Missouri Zoo
c. Bronx, New York Zoo
d. Cincinnati, Ohio Zoo

Answers: 1.b, 2. d, 3.b, 4.d, 5.f, 6.b, 7.t, 8.c, 9.b, 10.c

Then, we watched Madagascar while we colored Jungle Book characters and tried to fold some VERY difficult origami elephants (NOT successful). We also learned how to fold towel elephants like the ones they leave on your bed on cruises. Like I said, so dorky, but we had fun.

Making the cupcakes
Cuuute!

Aren't they so adorable??
Yum!
The much easier origami elephant I decided to make after our attempts to make the really complicated ones ended in such failure
Coloring Kaa from The Jungle Book

Jeff's Baloo!

On Monday, we went to DI (Deseret Industries) to look around and ended up getting Hop on Pop, Winnie the Pooh, Touch and Feel Baby Animals, Winnie the Pooh Twelve Days of Christmas, 3 Junie B. Jones books, and New Moon for less than $10! I was so excited! I LOVE books and I can't wait till I get to read with our kids! Then, we used a 2 for 1 coupon to get us both into Pizza Pie Cafe for just $7. It's a new all-you-can-eat pizza, pasta, and salad place here in Provo. It was delicious! And we were both completely stuffed by the time we left!

Jeff put a little Bumble (from the claymation Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer) in my stocking. It was one of those little rubbery things that grows when you put it in water. This is my full grown Bumble. It started out about a quarter of that size. "Bumbles Bounce!"

4 comments:

Hunter Family said...

You guys are so funny!

caitliem said...

I love the cupcakes! But now I'm hungry, so I'm mad at you:)

Lindsey Harmer said...

Kira! You are so ridiculously cute. Where do you come up with these ideas? All I can think of to do since being pregnant is naptime!

The Hansons said...

so i love it when you guys have a date, it seems that you have a theme throughout the whole day! that is so awesome! and Collin and i can totally relate to the cold day blues... we resort to just going to the gym because its too darn cold outside to do anything else!