Jeff and I have had a superb weekend spending all kinds of time together doing awesome things. Spring semester ends on Wednesday, but Jeff has already completed most of the required work for his two classes so this was a homework free weekend and we had plenty of time for much more enjoyable activities. Last night, an admittedly cheesy, yet incredibly fun "night under the stars." I decorated our bedroom ceiling with glow-in-the-dark stars, we decorated star-shaped cookies, ate Starburst, and watched Stardust. I happen to think themed nights are really fun. :)
Our cookie decorating set-up
The assortment of delicious candies.
Jeff carefully decorating his first cookie
I was a little more conservative than Jeff, trying to choose colors that would go well together, but Jeff didn't discriminate; he threw in some of everything.
Carefully selecting only the white sprinkles
My first cookie
Jeff frosted this one yellow to be "like a sheriff's badge... with a bunch of candy stuck to it."
As you may have noticed in the previous picture, this cookie originally had only 5 gummi bears placed neatly on it, but before he ate it, Jeff decided to pile on a few more.
My second cookie. Jeff acknowledged that there was a slight improvement in the color variety.
We surrounded the bed with a couple of sheets to enhance the romantic atmosphere.
The glow in the dark stars, before it got dark enough for them to glow.
I added a few candles around the room.
Getting ready to watch Stardust on Jeff's laptop "under the stars"
We had a few falling star encounters. Jeff decided to put these on after they landed on top of us. I had to force him to let me take a picture.
..............................
As soon as I got off work this morning, Jeff and I headed for the Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake. We spent about 3 hours there checking out the sights and had a fantastic time!
You can barely see the cheetah pacing in the back of this picture, but this cat was not happy. He paced back and forth along the fence for a ridiculous amount of time looking like he was just waiting for the opportunity to attack someone. I'm pretty sure he's got his sights set on Jeff at this point.
I felt sorry for him.
Sharing a branch with the giraffes
Apparently, Jeff wanted me to line this picture up so it looked like he was ramming this ram, but I didn't get the message.
A lot of the animals were pretty sleepy today, including this lynx.
This little penguin was an exception. We concluded that he had dreams of being a dolphin after seeing the little show he was putting on for everybody. Here, he is seen doing the backstroke.
His friends stayed on land and gave each other kisses and back rubs. There was a lot of love going around.
It's Pumba! These guys were so ugly that they were cute.
Adorable!
Jeff and I weren't quite on the same page about the cuteness.
This black bear was taking a nice nap
Jeff decided to join him
I decided to be a little more ferocious
I really wish I could cuddle with this guy without him mauling me.
"Reeeeeach!"
(As said by the cutest little boy in our ward when he wants something that's out of his reach)
This is the beautiful and rather pudgy snow leopard. We tried to get a picture of him standing up so that you could get the full effect of his pudginess, but he was pretty lazy and laid down right after this picture. It didn't look like he had any intention of moving for a while.
Check out that big fluffy tail!
The elusive tiger. We came back to his enclosure three times hoping for a decent picture, but he managed to evade us.
This shot was the best we could get after Jeff put me on his shoulders.
This bird looks just like Brynne's, but I don't think it does an evil laugh like hers. Jeff immediately didn't like it because of his experiences with Brynne's bird.
I'm pretty sure this is one of those things that always seems to be swimming around next to you on the Amazon River when your canoe capsizes in The Amazon Trail game.
Timon!
These guys were so snuggly and they looked so soft. I wish i could've joined their little huddle.
This is a horrific scene of an owl with a dead pink baby mouse in his clutches and two dead adult mice in front of him.
This is right after he downed that baby mouse in two bites.
How stinkin' cute is this bat-eared fox?!
This porcupine was HUGE!
A really weird looking bird with a funny shaped beak
This is supposedly an "Arabian Wildcat", but I'm pretty sure it's just a house cat. The zoo people are yanking our chain.
This very flexible turtle had a tennis ball for a toy
Jeff being a snake
I couldn't believe that this crocodile actually did something interesting, but I think he was just yawning cause after he opened his mouth really wide, he just went back to being motionless in the water
It was really weird to watch this kangaroo move around when he wasn't hopping really fast. He didn't walk. It was like he was hopping in really slow motion
A really pathetic impression of a kangaroo
An awesome impression of a rhino
This monkey was jumping and swinging all over this place until he decided to stop and pose for me like this. The kid behind us was amazed: "Woah, he totally just posed for you!"
Go Cougars! Our mascot is so cool, even though all it did was sleep.
And so did this monkey. I wish you could see how cute his face looked better.
I'm an elephant! For some reason, this elephant walked backwards all the way from the back of this enclosure to the front before he at least turned to the side. I think he was just trying to spite Jeff and I since we were waiting to take a picture of him, but all he would show us was the butt.
When we walked up to the orangutan enclosure, we just saw a blanket moving and then this arm popped out.
We were cracking up at this guy all hunched and huddled under his blanket
He finally decided to reveal himself
This was a little King Louis who was much more active than the large one under the blanket, but as many times as he got close and peaked over the edge of the planks of wood, he never got up the nerve to go and mess with him
Jeff being a gorilla with the real one hiding in the background
Here, Jeff is trying to look as smug as the camel in the background did
Spitting like a camel
I gave Jeff a hard time about making a stupid face...
so he responded with this beauty.
Rafiki. Their faces look like they're made of rubber.
I loved that the giraffes has giant umbrellas to shade them
I don't know if anyone else has seen "Sydney the Elephant" cartoons, but I'm reminded of Cleo.
Our last desperate attempt at getting a good picture of that slippery tiger
Jeff and I waited for about a million kids to finish climbing all over this rhino before we could get this cute picture
There was a peacock loose and when Jeff reluctantly tried to get close enough to it for a picture, it ran away from him (I think he was a little relieved)
So I passed him the camera
Look how sweet these two cuddly lemurs are!
Jeff drinking out of the lion drinking fountain
These guys are hilarious
This mama had two babies clinging to her back. They were SO cute, but I couldn't get a decent picture and this one makes them look a little freaky.
I don't think adults are supposed to play on this playground, but I wanted to be a turtle
Crocodile Dundee. Note the buff arm. Very nice.
Hatching
We left just before this crazy storm hit! It was raining SO hard, we could barely see out the windshield, but Jeff managed to get us home safe and sound.
2 comments:
baa-ha-ha! I love your running commentary on the pictures, so funny :) Can't wait to see you! Mom
I love the hatching pic. So funny!
P.S. Now I want to go to the Zoo!
Post a Comment