Sunday, June 21, 2009

What a FANTASTIC week!!

Well, before I get into the wonders of the past week, happy Father's Day! I wish I could actually have been with my dad today to make him breakfast in bed like in past years, but sadly we're a couple of states apart until 3 weeks from now when Jeff and I head down there. Here are a few reasons why my dad is the best:


1. His nickname is Rambo. Awesome.
2. He works harder than anybody I know and I never hear him complain.
3. He never quits and taught his kids never to quit.
4. He is crazy tough and I'm pretty sure he doesn't feel pain (example: When he almost sawed his finger off on a job site, he just duct taped it on so he wouldn't miss the inspector who would be there that day)
5. Kids absolutely love him. Once, in a crowded mall, two little kids ran past everyone else to grab onto his legs and tell him, "We can't find our mom!"
6. When Patrick and I were little, we would watch in awe as he took chicken pot pies out of the oven with his bare hands!
7. I owe much of my great taste in music to him.
8. I am amazed at the number of tasks he undertakes and oversees all at the same time on each job he does.
9. He used to lead my siblings and I in exercises each night during the summer to get us ready for the start of sports in August and when I was a goalie in soccer, he would make me say "I'm the wall" before every game.
10. He is a big Rocky fan and would say things like "No pain! No pain!" during the aforementioned nightly exercises.
11. He makes me laugh
12. He gives great advice

There are a million more things that make my dad great, but that gives you an idea of what an amazing guy he is. I'm so lucky to be his daughter.

Now, back to the beginning of the week. My lovely mama was in town this week. I got to spend Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday with her before she left Friday morning. I love my mom so much and I've missed her and the rest of my family like crazy! This is the first time that I haven't gone home to California for the summer so I'm not used to going this long without seeing them. It was so great to have my mom here. It's hard to describe how good I feel when I'm with her. She is such a wonderful, loving and generous person and we can just talk and laugh at the most ridiculous things for hours. I'm so lucky to have a mom like her. She spent hundreds of her own hard earned money (She teaches English part-time at Fullerton College) on Jeff and I while she was here and we couldn't be more grateful! On Tuesday she took me to Costco and spent almost $450 on us! Our freezer and cupboards are packed! And then on Wednesday, we went to the mall and she bought me lots of very cute summer clothes, which I have thoroughly enjoyed wearing around every day since. We had hoped to go on a hike and horseback riding, but since it rained all week, we ended up going to see 3 movies (Terminator, Star Trek, and Up) and going out to dinner twice. Jeff and I lived it up going to the real movie theater instead of the dollar theater and actually going out to restaurants to eat! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Mom, for a wonderful week!

My beautiful Mama
Every square inch of that freezer is packed! I couldn't believe that I actually got everything to fit! And there is even more delicious food in the fridge.
The massive pile of non-freezer/fridge items
Jeff enjoying one of his fancy Digiorno pizzas that my mom bought him. He's not going to want to go back to his $2 Tony's pizzas!

On Friday, Jeff and I went on a very long bike ride in the finally sunny weather, but when we tried walking to the park on Saturday to play frisbee in our shorts and t-shirts, we weren't so lucky. The minute we got there, it started to rain and we almost immediately had to turn around and walk the 2 miles back home in the rain!
Despite the unpredictable weather, Jeff and I had a great weekend spending every minute together not worrying about homework and just having fun!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You really do have great parents... they are awesome! I'm glad you had a good, fun, care-free weekend. You two just look so happy together!

Heidi said...

Kira, this was such a sweet post. It was wonderful to see you guys. I love you so much and wish I could do more. It's so easy to be your mom. What a blessing you are to me. See you soon! Love,
Rambo's wife

chandra said...

Awe man. That made me miss your Dad too! He is the best!!! You are so sweet for offering help with the yard sale. I might take you up on that... :-) I will give you a call when it gets closer. We might need some help if this gets HUGE! Which it might. Can you believe 4 people came today with stuff to donate! SO COOL!

Brenda said...

I love your mom and dad too! (And you too)