Okay so I know that this blog has been a long time coming. First, I was waiting on pictures of cute Bethany, but then I just got too busy with school and there were a couple of days in there where I got too busy wasting time watching movies and doing two of my new puzzles. But today is the day!
Jeff and I spent a long wonderful week in Houston with his family for Christmas. We were there from the 22nd to the 29th of December and a lot went on in that time! It was so great to get to spend so much time getting to know Jeff's family better! They are AWESOME! Seriously! How lucky am I?? I married an absolutely wonderful guy with GREAT friends and a FANTASTIC family attached to him!
Here are the highlights of each day of our visit:
Monday:
Jeff and I got in around 4pm and on our way back from the airport, I got my first impression of Texas (I'd never been there before). There were a lot more trees than I expected and it was HUMID! My hair was SO curly the entire time we were there! Quite the contrast to dry Utah! We got back to the house and I got to meet Ben, Caitlin, and Bethany for the first time. They are such a cute little family and 9 month-old Bethany is absolutely adorable (as you will see for yourself in the pictures). That night we started reading The Forgotten Carols. Each family member would take a turn reading a couple of pages and we did it over a few nights which I believe should've ended on Christmas, but we got so busy that I guess we just forgot to finish it that night (probably because everyone was distracted anxiously awaiting Jeff's brother Steven's call from Cambodia where he is serving a mission). I had never read The Forgotten Carols and I LOVED it!! It is such a beautiful story with beautiful music that goes along with it. I am anxious to find out how it ends! Jeff's mom, Renita, is sending us our own copy sometime in the very near future.
Tuesday:
Jeff and I finished up our Christmas shopping at Wal-Mart and Navoo Books. Bethany is so cute that we got her TWO presents: bubbles and and an Elmo book with a stuffed Elmo. We were excited to play with the bubbles with her later. Jeff and I took one of his parents' motorcycles to Navoo Books and it was so fun! Greg and Renita (Jeff's parents) got me a leather jacket for Christmas so now I fit right in! Jeff loves motorcycles and grew up riding them so its really sad for him that I am so terrified of him or my kids having them because I won't let him have one. I just told him that we could take his parents' for a ride or two when we visit since the odds go waayyy up that there will be a serious accident if we actually own one and I just can't live with that! He's bummed, but I told him we could compromise and get some fun and slightly less dangerous toys later. Also, I think it was that night that we started "the games." Jeff's family holds little tournaments of random games every year at Christmas time and Dad shells out the prize money ($10 for 1st, $6 for 2nd, and $4 for 3rd). Luckily he's a tough competitor so he gets to keep some of his money! The games include basketball (Around the World and free throws), pool, darts, ping pong, carpet balls (a lot like bocce ball), Yahtzee, "The Dice Game", Uno, and Blow Guns.
Wednesday:
That night we participated in some Christmas Eve traditions, but during the day we just hung out and played Ben and Caitlin's Wii games on the nice big brand new TV, sitting on brand new comfy theater chairs (a few of Greg's exciting early Christmas presents). Jeff and I also went to see Eagle Eye in a tiny broken down dollar theater. I was a little afraid of the filth in that place and I'm not even a germaphobe! I guess we just kind of forgot about it when the lights went down though cause we got through the whole movie. That night, we got to have a fantastic, delicious dinner all together out on the nice table with adorable Christmas plates and Santa napkin holders. Then we read the traditional story out of Luke and opened one gift each. Jeff and I opened ours from Kyle. He's a pretty awesome guy. Afterwards we all helped to bring down the mounds and mounds of presents for the next morning. Jeff and his dad set them all out just barely overlapping each other so there was a sea of presents spilling out from under the tree. Apparently, this is a tradition in their family as well. It was a LOT of presents! SO exciting!
Thursday (CHRISTMAS!):
We agreed the night before to come downstairs for breakfast at 8:00, but Jeff and I were up a little early (we're early risers) and now it was actually Christmas morning so naturally, it was expected that I model my Mrs. Clause outfit again! But soon it was time to go downstairs. Kyle, Jeff and I, and Ben, Caitlin and Bethany all headed down the stairs for a delicious breakfast, which Renita so kindly prepared. Can you believe she cooked lunch and dinner for all 8 of us (and a couple times for even more) EVERY lunch and dinner that whole week?? That woman is incredible and we love her! After breakfast, it was time to open presents! Now, in my family we get around once, mayyyybe twice doing the one present at a time, youngest to oldest thing, before everybody just starts ripping presents open! But in Jeff's family, they actually do that the WHOLE time! I was impressed! We were warned that Greg had gone a little overboard in his generosity this year and that we shouldn't expect this many gifts every year! haha I couldn't believe how many great things Jeff and I got from his parents. I can't even tell you how wonderful they are. They are so generous and kind and I am so so so grateful to have such incredible in-laws! One of my most exciting gifts was my very own shiny red blow gun! SO cool! Jeff and I got a bunch of great dvds and games, some gift certificates to a couple of our favorite places: The Quarry (indoor rock climbing) and Jump On It (the trampoline place), frisbees and a case for frisbee golf, a new camel pack for me to go hiking with, a pedicure for me (Renita and Caitlin got them to so we could go together the next day), and more from his parents! We were SO excited about all of it and so grateful! We spent the rest of the day spending time with some nearby family members, playing Wii and continuing our game tournaments. Also, that night, Steven called from his mission in Cambodia. He had been out 6 months, now 7. His brothers all got to talk to him for a few minutes before Mom and Dad took over the last of the phone call. Jeff isn't much of a talker, so he handed the phone over to me after a couple minutes. Steven was the first member of Jeff's family that I met since he was going to BYU and it was really nice to talk to him again. He's doing great! It was my first Christmas away from home and even though I missed them, I had such a great day with the in-laws, so I was happy! :)
Friday:
In the morning, Jeff and I went on a breakfast ride on the motorcycles with his parents. It was our gift to his dad to take them to breakfast. We had such a great time just talking and spending time together and the cool air felt so nice on the ride there! The only downer was a dead kitty on the side of the road right next to where we stopped at a light. I almost cried. Jeff, on the other hand wasn't even phased (NOT an animal lover). A little later on, Renita, Caitlin, and I went to get the best pedicure I've ever had! It was SO nice and relaxing! And I've never had them use the hot wax before, but it was heavenly! Renita was so excited to get to have girls to go do girly things with after raising four boys and no girls! I really loved all the time I got to spend chatting with Renita and Caitlin while I was there. I don't spend much time with girls anymore either! Later, Jeff and I made a trip to Kohl's to get me a new dress and skirts which I've already gotten lots of use out of and then we spent the rest of the day hanging with the family playing games.
Saturday:
In the morning all the guys got up early and went to help move Ben and Caitlin into their new house (they had been staying with Greg and Renita since they had moved down to Houston from Michigan). Even Jeff's uncle Doug and his cousins Brian and Corey came down from Arlington to help and they stayed for Jeff's and my open house that night, along with Doug's wife Bea and their daughter Stephanie, both of whom helped a lot with preparation for that. Caitlin and I met the guys at the house when they got there with the moving van so Caitlin could direct the guys and I made a whole lotta peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for all the guys! The open house that night was SO nice! I loved getting to meet Jeff's old ward members, friends, and neighbors and I appreciate so much all the work Renita put into organizing it for us and putting it all on and all of Caitlin, Bea and Stephanie's help as well. Jeff and I are so spoiled!
Sunday:
It was Jeff's Birthday on Sunday so he got to choose what we had for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. For breakfast, we had Breakfast Cake (a first for me). For lunch, it was chicken noodle soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. And for dinner, we had pizza, and for dessert, Jeff's favorite, pecan pie. After dinner, Jeff opened the gifts from his family and then we spent the rest of the night finishing up all of the tournaments. Sadly, I didn't win ANY money! Not one of the games we played was my forte, in fact, I had barely ever played any of them and some I hadn't ever played before so my chances were slim! I improved at a couple of the games as the tournaments went on though so better luck next time! Jeff cleaned up enough for the both of us anyway! Apparently, that's not uncommon. He is quite the competitor and he gave everyone a run for their money!
On Monday, it was time to head to California. It was such an unforgettable week and we owe so much to Jeff's parents for flying us out there and for doing so much for us and giving so much to us while we were there! They are truly wonderful people and we are so lucky to have them in our lives!
Laugh it up! I know I look like a dork! I could've sworn that helmet was pulled all of the way down on my head, but apparently I was wrong.

Bethany was always the center of attention during meals and SO messy!
Jeff and his dad laying out the presents
Jeff with the vast sea of gifts

Bethany with all of her presents! Everybody had a great time spoiling her and she loved every minute of opening presents Christmas morning!

Bethany LOVED playing with Jeff! ALL kids love him!

Playing bubbles

Renita and Bethany

Bethany and her mommy, Caitlin
The cute invitations Renita made for the open house

We took a family picture on Sunday (Ben, Caitlin, Bethany, Kyle, Renita, Greg, Me, and Jeff)
1 comment:
I asked for a post and I got one :) Kira I can't believe that you aren't sold on a motorcycle after a sexy motorcycle ride to breakfast. I thought that would have been the clincher. Hahaha jk.
Post a Comment