Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Oh That Blake...

February 14, 2017

I have a lot on my plate this week, but I decided it was worth it to bike to the grocery store with the kids this afternoon even though I was almost certain it meant I'd be giving up nap time. McKenna would inevitably fall asleep along the way and I'd probably have to work with her clingy little self all over me when we got home. I'd accepted it. But 2.5 miles into our ride, we arrived at HEB and she was still awake! I started to consider the possibility that naptime could actually happen. 

We shopped and loaded up the bike trailers while the wind gusted around us. As I realized the wind was going to be blowing strong against me almost the entire ride home, I lost hope again. It would take too long. She'd never stay awake so long, so late in the afternoon. Enter Blake, my 3-year-old knight in shining armor. As he got into the bike trailer, he asked if McKenna could sit by him. I snuggled them both up in the blankets we brought and said, "Do you think McKenna will fall asleep on the way home, Blake?" "I don't know." "I don't want her to. I hope she doesn't." Blake didn't respond, but as soon as we started riding, he started playing "Pat-a-Cake" with McKenna. I looked back and saw him grinning at her and clapping her hands together as she giggled. Heart melted. But he didn't stop there! He sang every song he knew (Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Five Little Monkeys, The Wise Man and the Foolish Man, etc) and actively clapped McKenna's hands, tickled her, and kept her engaged for the entire 15-20 minute ride home! Of course, she stayed awake! It was a small miracle and I had to thank that sweet angel boy and give him a huge hug for helping me when I hadn't even really asked him to. I just love that Blake!

Side note, McKenna, who still is hardly talking, just started saying, "Cheeeeese!" every time I take a picture. It's adorable!

No comments: