Wednesday, August 28, 2013

July 2013: The Twins are Here!

[**I am writing this on August 19th, but a lot of the twins' first month was recorded on Facebook in an effort to keep people updated, so I copy/pasted a lot of that right into this blog post. Also, one of the wonderful parts of our whole experience welcoming these two little miracles into the world was all of the love and support we got from family and friends via Facebook, so I copy/pasted just a few of the comments and words of encouragement we received on there as well. Everything from Facebook will be in italics, while everything I type now will not.]

The twins' birth story isn't really anything like Luke's. I was really hoping it would be! Go to the hospital, have a relatively short and very smooth labor and delivery, and immediately start loving on a brand new, perfect little baby (TWO in this case), who will be with you until you all leave the hospital together a couple of days later. Well, there is no denying that these two little ones were and are absolutely perfect, but just about everything else about their arrival was completely different from what we had hoped for. And yet, somehow still wonderful! It's amazing how even when nothing goes the way you plan, there are always incredible blessings and joys to be found!

"I'm 32 weeks already and I haven't had a single contraction or sign of preterm labor! We're going to make it to 36 or 37 weeks no problem! No NICU for us!" That's a direct quote from me, talking to Jeff as we got ready for bed on the night of Wednesday, June 26th. Little did we know, our twins would be born exactly one week later.

The night after I made my overconfident prediction, I came down with a stomach bug. It only lasted a few hours, gone by the next morning, and I normally would have taken it easy that day to recover, but it was was Luke's birthday and I had made plans to take him to Jump On In with his cousins. I ignored the crumby day-after-tossing-my-cookies-all-night-and-32-weeks-pregnant-with-twins feeling and got in the car and went. As we were getting ready, I felt a few very mild cramps that felt suspiciously like contractions, but I ignored those too, until a few hours went by and it became apparent that that little stomach bug had been just enough to bring on some contractions (apparently dehydration can do that), real or Braxton Hicks, I wasn't sure. They were still very mild and pretty irregular, but as we drove home that afternoon, they seemed to get a little closer together. As soon as we got home, I put Luke down for a nap and got in my own bed to rest and chug water, hoping to ward off the contractions.

It was Friday afternoon and my OBGYN's office was closed. I had no desire to go to the hospital if I didn't have to. For some reason, I was still convinced the contractions must be Braxton Hicks. So, I called my good friend/cousin-in-law, and labor and delivery nurse, Tricia, to ask what she thought. We came to the conclusion that since the contractions seemed to have stopped, I could spend the next couple of days on "light bed rest," sitting and lying down as much as possible, until my appointment with my doctor on Monday morning.

The next two days were spent relaxing as much as possible while Jeff babysat the kids Saturday night and helped a whole lot with Luke's birthday party on Sunday.

July 01, 2013

Monday morning, I was finally able to see my doctor and explain what had happened. Over the past couple of days, although I wasn't really feeling contractions anymore, I just had a feeling that the contractions I had had caused some progression toward delivery, so I asked my doctor to check me just in case. Just as I had predicted, I was already dilated to a 2! Shoot! I really wished I had been wrong!

Dr. Smith sent me straight to Methodist Willowbrook Hospital to be monitored. Once I was hooked up to the monitors, we could see that I was still contracting much more than I knew. I just couldn't feel most of them. When they checked me again after an hour, I was a 2-3, and now, more painfully, contracting every 2 minutes. They quickly moved me to a room in antepartum and got me on an IV with Saline to rehydrate me, penicillin in case of infection, and magnesium to stop the contractions. After a little while, I also received a steroid shot to speed the development of the babies' lungs.

This is the picture I texted Caitlin from my phone when they first started monitoring my contractions and I thought I couldn't be reading it correctly, because there was no way I was having that many contractions that close together! I certainly wasn't feeling all of them!

Over the next few hours, the contractions slowed enough that it seemed safe to say, I wasn't having babies that night, and I was finally able to eat! It was past dinner time and I hadn't even eaten lunch because my appointment with Dr. Smith was at 10:30am. At one point a nurse had at least tried to give me a popsicle, but on her way into my room, she was told I wasn't allowed to have it yet, so I had to watch it slowly melt in it's wrapper on the counter across the room from my bed.

With my belly finally full, and after a visit from my wonderful husband, who brought a few things to keep me entertained, I tried to settle in for the night, but it was a little harder to sleep than I had anticipated! ...

I made the mistake of trying to use my intercom as a phone and seriously jumped when the nurse's voice blasted in my ear! Jeff thought it was hilarious!

(2:30am July 2nd) Sheesh! Maybe I should have expected sleep to be difficult with a big pregnant twin belly, the occasional contraction, an IV pumping magnesium, a monitor strapped to my belly, a cuff on my arm taking my blood pressure every hour, and the worst: a catheter! Bleh! And yet I am so grateful for modern medicine giving me the chance to keep these babies on board a little longer! And for the support of my wonderful family! Wow, I love them! — at Methodist Willowbrook Hospital.

Brenda Danner Oswell Is everything okay? We will keep you guys in our prayers, glad you have family to help with Luke!

Katarina Herrera Kira?! What's going on?
Kira Fisher Everything's fine ..ish haha I caught a little stomach bug a couple days ago and it seems to have kick-started labor. They are trying to put a stop to the contractions, I'm getting steroid shots to help develop the babies' lungs just in case, and I'm on strict bed rest in the hospital indefinitely. I have cholestasis (liver problem more common with twin pregnancy), so even if they successfully stop labor, they're keeping me here to control my very high enzyme levels, so I will probably be in the hospital until the babies get here. Even if that's still a week or two or more away. Everything will work out in the end, I'm sure :)  Thank you for the prayers!

Katarina Herrera Geez Kira!!! Well you have a great attitude that's for sure! Praying for health and safety for all of you and that they will stay put as long as possible. Sorry to hear you will be stuck in the hospital, it's no fun at all. Who is going to take care of Luke? I wish I lived closer so I could help!
Jena Wells Fawcett Oh no! I have been there! Try to relax! You have done a great job keeping them cooking so long! Mine only made 30 w 3 days and are perfectly healthy little 3 year olds now. You have done great and I'm sure you have a few more weeks in you! 

Brittany Shurtleff DeCaires Oh and one more thing. Can I come meet you for lunch one day if you are going to be stuck in the hospital?

Jackie Pinkowitz Hang in there, honey!!!
 
Kathy Gearhart Blattman Oh goodness. Things have been going so well, so far. I suppose it's expected that you would have a hiccup or two, before delivery.
I'm ready and willing to sneak into the hospital with WHATEVER food craving you have. You need only send me one word messages (example: PIE) and I will be at the hospital in the afternoon, with contraband pie.
Keep 'cooking' those babies until the buzzer chimes. They're a miracle and you're a champion fighter. Our family is praying for you.

Stephanie Jamtaas Fantasia Kira!! Hang in there, and more importantly hang onto those sweet babies a little longer!!! I'll help with whatever you need, just let me know. I can even be your pick-up-and-drop-off laundry service so things don't fall behind at home.

Sabrina Sweetwood Lawton Oh no! I'll sneak in and unhook the monitors and cuffs so you can get some zzzs... Don't worry I've done it before (on myself) haha. How long are you there? We'd love to help (in legal ways too)!
 
Janet M Carroll Hello my dear precious Kira. Glad you are being cared for so the babies stay put for awhile. You are just the sweetest young mother and you do deserve the best. I love you.

Abby Hawsey Durr Hope everything calms down soon! We can just all make out a schedule to come visit and bring you good food!!

Sabrina Sweetwood Lawton Good idea Abby Hawsey Durr!! I'm in.
July 02, 2013

(11am, July 2nd) Did you know that magnesium makes it feel like you have a sunburn ... on your eyes?? I didn't either, but it's true. haha It's really weird that we are putting a big bag of something called "Magnesium Sulfate" in my veins. Doesn't quite sound right, but somehow it miraculously took me from having contractions every 2 minutes to having more mild ones every 30ish minutes. So, thanks Magnesium!

 Lindsey Pickett I'll bring you some sunscreen for your eyes. :) We are praying for you.

On Tuesday afternoon, Renita, who had kept Luke since my appointment the previous morning, brought my sweet boy to visit me. He kept wanting to hug me and lie in bed with me. I really missed that boy while I was in the hospital and I think he missed me too. He was never quite comfortable with the explanations we gave him for why I was in there and I felt bad that my sweet little guy seemed pretty anxious a lot of the time until I finally came home. I love, love, love that little man of mine!
 
(4pm, July 2nd) Gosh, I know this should be a bad experience, but mostly it's just been so good! If you can believe that! I have just seen and felt so much good throughout it! Ever since I first started feeling occasional mild contractions and getting the feeling something might be happening, I've been praying for strength, comfort, and especially my babies' health. And I have felt such overwhelming love and peace from my Heavenly Father! Somehow through all of this and all of the possibilities and unknowns, I have never been afraid for my babies or myself. And I know that is coming from a loving Father in Heaven who is constantly aware of each of us and answers our prayers. I have felt nothing but peace and a confirmation that these two sweet little babies are going to be just fine, whether they come in a couple of days or weeks. And on top of that, there has been such an outpouring of love and support from friends and family! So many people offering to do anything they can to help before we even really know what we need! THANK YOU all so much for that! And of course, I can't leave out my sweet husband, who is as wonderful as ever offering to do whatever he can for me even when it is inconvenient. He is another reason, I feel so at peace. I know I can get through anything if I have him. And finally, my nurses and doctors have been absolutely wonderful. One of them even came in to say a prayer for me. We don't share exactly the same religious beliefs, but I know our Father in Heaven loves all of us and answers all of our prayers. It was just such a sweet experience with a very sweet woman. Sorry this is so ramble-y and long, but I'm just feeling very grateful and wanted to write down my thoughts and feelings. I can't wait to meet these two little babies, whenever they decide they are ready to come! I love them SO much already!

Brooke Sommers-Hunter Kira this makes me so happy. :) I'm so glad that you are feeling comforted. That is such a wonderful feeling! I love you! Keep up the good work.
July 03, 2013

I spent 100% of my first two days in the hospital in bed, thanks to a lovely catheter. I was also still getting all of the same fluids through my IV all that time, and by Wednesday morning, I was getting pretty desperate to be off of the magnesium. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be when they first started me on it, but going through several bags of the stuff on a constant flow for two straight days was starting to wear on me. It was especially difficult because I had been told I would be getting off of it a couple of different times, but those times had come and gone and the nurses kept telling me they were just waiting for my doctor to give the order. The only problem with that was I knew my doctor was out of town all day Wednesday going to see a Justin Beiber concert with her daughter (yep, you heard that right haha), so I had them check with the on call doctor. As it turned out, he was on his way to give me some big and unexpected news!

I had just barely started in on my lunch when Dr. Battaglia, who is a very big, loud, and friendly man nicknamed "Bear" by the nurses, came bustling into the room, proclaiming, "We're having babies tonight!" followed almost immediately by, "Yeah, you're probably going to want to take that away from her." Goodbye surprisingly and wonderfully delicious pizza! I really wish we had gotten better acquainted!

You see, over the past two days, my blood pressure had been monitored every hour, I had my blood drawn to check my liver enzymes .. or my bile acid levels .. or both (honestly it kinda seemed like the doctors and nurses used those two terms interchangeably as an indicator of Cholestasis), and I'd had an ultrasound to check out the babies from head to toe. The results of ALL of those things had convinced Dr. Battaglia it was time. Those babies needed to come now.

The ultrasound showed that baby girl was MUCH smaller than baby boy, which was a shock because there had been no cause for concern at my ultrasound less than 3 weeks earlier! I was also boarder-line Preeclampsia, which was completely unexpected because my blood pressure hadn't been a problem at all throughout the pregnancy up until now, and I had been remarkably calm and happy for the most part during my hospital stay so far (divine intervention for sure), so I don't think it would have been stress induced. And finally, the Cholestasis. I was aware of that, but my blood work showed that my case was severe, which I wasn't expecting, since the only symptom I had was the itching and even that wasn't as out of control as some cases I had heard of. I wasn't the least bit jaundiced.

Looking back, I am sure that all of this was a huge blessing in disguise that may have saved my little girl's life! We would have had no idea that she wasn't doing well or receiving the nourishment she needed if that stomach bug hadn't sent me to the hospital. And all of my tests coming back so extreme sent up red flags for the doctors so they acted quickly, getting my babies here to be given the care they needed. I am extremely grateful to my Heavenly Father for the role I'm sure he played in all of this!

Dr. Battaglia now informed me that I had two options and he was willing to agree to do either one. 1) Schedule a c-section for a few hours from then 2) They could start me on Pitocin to induce labor and I could try laboring and getting them out myself, but there were risks involved if I decided to go that route: Baby girl may not respond well to labor; I wasn't physically in great condition for labor with the Preeclampsia, Cholestasis, and the fact that my body had grown weak from being stuck in a bed on lethargy-inducing medications for more than two straight days; and baby girl would come out first, not creating enough room for her much bigger brother to come out immediately after her, which could lead to complications with him being stuck inside longer.

While Jeff made arrangements at work to be out the rest of the day and made his way to me, I posted the update on Facebook and got so much love and support in return! People are the best!

(2:15pm, July 3rd) We're having babies tonight! Very likely via C-section, which was not how I originally envisioned this going, so I'm a little scared. But I know everything will be fine in the end. Wish us luck! And prayers please! 


Wendy Holmes You'll do great, Kira! I've had two c sections NOT by choice, and in the end I'm grateful my babes had arrived and were both pictures of health. Speaking of pictures, take lots! And don't worry - you'll recover quickly. You are one of the healthier people I know, and that goes a long way. Just make sure to take it easy and let your body recover and heal in the proper amount of time. You'll do great!!!

Janet M Carroll I woke up thinking of you. I will be praying for you and your babies, too. May God bless you and keep you this day. Turn any worry over to Him as he loves and cares for you. Papal says we will be right over to take care of those babies!

Michelle Witt I love you and it's going to be fine!

Heidi Carroll Lamb I love you so much Kira! You are going to do beautifully! Those wee tiny babies are so lucky to get you and Jeff as their parents and Luke as their big brother!

Debbie Anner Hosick Prayers and love sweetie!
 Lola Scocozza I had a c section with Sophia. You got this Kira. I'm cheering u on ;)

Karen Alvarado de Juarez en nuestras oraciones siempre están ustedes, que Nuestro Padre Celestial los bendiga. Les enviamos todo nuestro amor.

Dottie Musso Good luck, will say a prayer!


Brenda Danner Oswell Prayers your way! If any one can handle it you can.

Linda Blake Scott Harrison It's going to be good... It is always scary, just know they will be small but it they are like you, they will be happy hearted little fighters! Praying that you have the peace to enjoy this special day!

Linda Blake Scott Harrison Can you make sure a nurse is assigned FB duty!!! Not one of us following you will sleep till we see those babies!!

Katarina Herrera We are praying Kira. God is control and everything will be ok. Praying you find peace of mind during this and that your precious babies will be as healthy as can be. Praying also for your doctors and nurses. I had an emergency csection with Kora. I know how scary it can be. Try to breathe just focus on the outcome not the csection. Trust in God and let Him be your rock. Your babies will be well taken care of.

Liz DeRose Praying for you!!! Can't wait to see pictures of those precious babies!!!!

Jackie Pinkowitz Good luck my dear, to you, the babies and all the family. I know you'll be fine! Can't wait to see the two new little ones!

Adriano Martinez good luck! and congrats. beautiful fam bam

Jeff and I had agreed to make our final decision about whether or not to schedule a c-section when he arrived at the hospital and we could talk face to face and pray about the decision together, but once I had a couple of minutes to get over the shock and process what Dr. Battaglia had told me, it became very clear in my mind that even though it was scary and not what I wanted, a c-section was the obvious choice. It would have been too dangerous to put everyone through labor. When Jeff arrived, he agreed with me and we informed Dr. Battaglia of our decision.

Last picture before the twins arrive! 33 weeks today. Don't judge. This picture captures the first time I've been out of my hospital bed in more than 2 days! I've been restricted by a catheter and medication that has made me feel pretty crumby, so I haven't even been able to take a shower! Yuck! Hopefully I'll FINALLY get one tomorrow!

Heidi Carroll Lamb How are you so beautiful when you haven't taken a shower for two days?! You amaze me in so many ways my girl!
Alex Jennings This looks like a stock photo from a hospital brochure :)

Lindsey Monson Harmer How does your hair progressively look more voluptuous the longer you don't shower? Unfair.

Jeanine Fisher Crane You look awesome! Especially after what you've been through!

Katie Jones Girl, you look amazing! Can't wait to see some pictures of your little ones!

Jocelyn Smith Thomas You look beautiful! I'm so excited for you!


Shelley Ricks Thomas I don't know what you're talking about. You look great! Congrats!!

Sunny Martin You look gorgeous! Good luck!
 Michelle Petro You look absolutely radiant. So happy for you and congrats mama. 

Heather Adam Sargeant Judge?! You seriously look gorgeous Kira!!! It will be so great to meet your little miracles!

Jennifer Wardle You look so beautiful!!! The twins will have such a pretty mama!!!

My c-section was scheduled for 8pm. I called Caitlin, who is a Doula and had been planning on being there for my labor/delivery to offer support, encouragement, and expertise if needed. That amazing girl showed up with dinner for Jeff, several bags of supplies for me (nursing pads, breast milk storage bags, much less ridiculous pads than the giant diaper-like ones the hospital provides, a breast pump, lanolin, etc), AND the candy I had told her I was craving for after the surgery. Seriously?? Caitlin is my hero! 

Our nurse informed us that it was the anesthesiologist's call whether or not Caitlin would be allowed in the OR, so I asked him when he came in to introduce himself. He told us no, sorry, only Jeff could be there, which caused me to have a mini internal panic attack because I knew Jeff would be leaving with the babies as soon as they came out, and without Caitlin there, I would be left to be sewn up and sent to recovery completely alone. Since I was a little nervous about the c-section, I had asked Jeff earlier if he could give me a quick blessing that all would go well if there was ever a quiet moment to do it. I was about to be wheeled down the hall to the OR and there hadn't ever been a good time, but Jeff could see the fear in my eyes, so all dressed in his scrubs, he quickly asked Caitlin to shut the door and gave me a wonderful, comforting blessing, finishing just in time for the nurses to hurry back in and wheel me out the door.
 

The OR is a pretty scary place if you're experiencing it for the first time. It isn't exactly warm and cozy and welcoming. Keep in mind that my only previous experience with hospitals was one completely uncomplicated birth (Luke) and getting 5 stitches in my knee in the ER when I was 18. So being wheeled into this blindingly bright, freezing cold room filled with lots of shiny metal and stark white all around me was a little intimidating.

There were plenty of doctors and nurses in the room ready for the arrival of my tiny little ones and they wasted no time getting started. While my doctor lounged in one corner of the room chatting jovially with everyone, waiting for his turn, a nurse asked me to sit on the edge of the operating table for the epidural. This was asking a lot since I had only recently come off of two straight days of magnesium and simply sitting up in bed for a few minutes to eat my breakfast that morning had completely worn me out! But I did as I was told, even though the combination of wearing nothing but a hospital gown in this ice cold room and moving more than I had in 2 days was causing me to shiver uncontrollably. I was grateful there was a nurse assigned to brace me from the front so that I wouldn't fall forward off the edge of the table. I'm sure I would have otherwise.

I was starting to wonder where the heck Jeff was. He had been following us down the hall when they wheeled me in here, so why wasn't he here yet? But when I asked, I was informed that they don't let the husbands in for the surgery prep because a lot of them can't handle it. I thought, So what makes you think I can handle it?! But it was at that moment - when I realized I wasn't going to have my husband or anyone else to lean on - that I decided to just suck it up and face whatever was coming. I really didn't have a choice, and once I realized that, I became remarkably calm and at peace, and that feeling remained for the rest of the surgery.

My anesthesiologist did a fabulous job on my epidural! He worked quickly, had no issues at all getting it right first try, and I barely felt a thing! Thank goodness for good anesthesiologists! They really have the power to make or break the whole birth experience!

While my anesthesiologist was doing his thing, Dr. Battaglia asked me, "Are you excited?" I thought that was sort of a weird question, considering the circumstances, and responded, "Yeah, I guess so, but right now, I'm kind of nervous." He acted genuinely surprised by that response: "Nervous? Why? Don't be nervous! It's all going to go great!" Why nervous? Well, I'm about to be cut open and my babies are 7 weeks premature! I felt like I needed to see them and be sure they were okay before I could really be excited, but knowing that we were all going to come out of this okay in the end, I was very excited to finally meet my little ones.

The moment my epidural was in place, the nurse who had been bracing me on the edge of the operating table, immediately laid me back flat on the table. For a moment I wondered about the urgency, as she had kind of man-handled me instead of just asking me to lie down, but I didn't wonder long! The numbness immediately started to spread rapidly throughout my entire body! This was the worst part of the whole surgery for me. It was a very unpleasant feeling having my whole body go numb all the way up to my neck, but I was so grateful that I didn't throw up like I had heard was pretty common, and that I had been warned that some people panic and think they can't breathe when their chest goes numb, because knowing that was coming, I didn't panic at all.

The nurses got all of the blue sheets in place, including the one shielding me from viewing the surgery, and this is when Jeff finally appeared at my side! The poor guy had been stuck waiting anxiously in the hall all this time! I had almost forgotten I would have him for support during the actual surgery, but it was so wonderful to see his face, even though he was only there for what felt like 60 seconds!

Dr. Battaglia dove right in and worked so fast that even the nurses and anesthesiologist were amazed and talked about it later after he left the room. It was so strange to feel him working on me! It felt like whatever he was doing was completely brutal, as if he was yanking and hitting me belly repeatedly as hard as he could! Boy was I glad to be numb! And somehow I was still totally calm! Dr. Battaglia chatted away with everyone in the room about medical school while he worked. It sounded like they were all just relaxing and having a snack together in the break room! I guess they're used to this!

It felt like no time at all had passed before everyone around us was saying, "Oh look at her! So much hair!" Jeff dutifully stood to snap pictures like I had asked him to. By the look on his face, it definitely seemed like he was just doing it for me, because I know he really didn't even want to catch a glimpse of the surgery (I don't blame him! I didn't either!). But before he could take a single picture of baby girl, a nurse told him he would have to wait until he got into the other room with the babies, no pictures in the OR. His backside barely hit the chair again before baby boy was out and a nurse said, "Dad" and gestured for him to follow her out of the room. I said goodbye and he was gone.

It was totally surreal because both babies had come out not breathing, so it was completely silent - no squeaks, no cries, nothing! And they were immediately rushed out of the OR to the room next door to be worked on. If no one had said anything, I wouldn't have even known they were out! Of course, it occurred to me to be worried about the fact that they weren't breathing, but the repeated confirmations in my heart from my Father in Heaven over the past couple of days that my sweet babies would be just fine were as real as if I had seen into the future to be sure that they were true. I had no doubt. I knew that they were being well taken care of - by Him and by the doctors and nurses.

The anesthesiologist stood behind the curtain and chatted with me while I was being sewn (technically glued) up. I could tell he wasn't really the chatting type, but he was doing his best to take my mind off of what was happening just in case I was freaking out. I wasn't. But I appreciated the obvious effort he was putting forth.

Meanwhile, Jeff was in the next room watching a crowd of doctors and nurses work quickly and expertly to preserve our little preemie babies' lives. These pictures, and knowing that my little ones weren't breathing when they arrived make me so very grateful for modern medicine and the knowledge of today's medical experts! They are so used to caring for these little ones who likely wouldn't survive without medical intervention, that they didn't even seem worried as they prepared for their arrival and then jumped into action when the babies made their appearances. I owe a huge thanks to all of them for caring for my sweet little munchkins!

Baby boy

So many hands working on such a tiny baby!

In the OR, it was time for me to be sent to recovery, so the anesthesiologist and everyone else that was left in the room worked together to move me from the operating table to a bed. It was a crazy feeling being completely paralyzed and helpless as they rolled me onto my side, giving me a clear view of the hard floor below! The anesthesiologist assured me that they wouldn't drop me, and thank goodness, he kept his promise!

In recovery, as the epidural began to wear off, my whole body shook uncontrollably, even causing my teeth to chatter if I didn't consciously stop them! The same thing happened right after Luke was born, only this time it lasted significantly longer. It didn't stop until I got back into my room and the nurses covered me with several blankets and my body finally slowly calmed down. But I just tried to ignore it while Jeff joined me in recovery with pictures of the babies to show me and I talked to my mom on the phone.

Seeing pictures of the babies was completely wonderful and totally surreal! Having never seen them in person or even heard them cry, it was almost hard to believe that they were actually here, but I was so happy to see pictures of them and know that they were stable and doing well. Although hearing their weights kind of threw me for a loop! I guess I hadn't really thought it through when Dr. Bataglia had told me that Baby Girl was much smaller than Baby Boy. 3 lbs 10 oz. sounded SO small and babies at 33 weeks typically weigh over 4 pounds! Hearing that made my heart stop for a second, but seeing that Jeff didn't look worried made me feel much better. Baby Boy's weight was a bit of a shock for the opposite reason! 5 lbs 4 oz is huge for 33 weeks! And from the pictures, it looked like they were both born with my dark curly hair! I was so excited to meet them and hold them, but I think the fact that the reality of my babies actually being here was still sinking in made the wait a little easier.

Back in my room, I added the first pictures of our little ones to Facebook for the family and friends I knew were checking constantly for news and pictures.

Baby Boy 5 lbs. 4 oz., 19 in.

Jennifer Courreges He would have been a truck at full term! So glad they are doing well!


Baby boy is doing great!

 
Baby Girl 3 lbs. 10 oz., 15 in.

Katarina Herrera Tiny miracle!

Stephanie Jamtaas Fantasia And they will forever tease about how brother has always been a pig, even in Mom's womb. Way to share some food with sis, cute boy! Lol

Baby Girl is doing great! More pictures to come soon enough.

Heidi Carroll Lamb I keep looking at them over and over again! They are so beautiful! I'm so proud of you honey!
July 04, 2013


Kathy Gearhart Blattman I was up until 1:30am, checking Facebook, looking for news about you and the twins. I'm so glad I saw Jeri this morning. She said the pictures don't come up on the news feed, but to check your personal page.
I can't tell you how happy and relieved I am, for you, and for the babies. My GOODNESS they are beautiful. I've never seen such vibrant looking preemies. So, so, so, sooooooo happy for you.
I wish you a speedy recovery and the twins to gain a few ounces every day.
Huge congratulations!

My first time seeing the babies! I still just can't believe they're ours!

Holly Lawton Kennedy This is my favorite pic. You can almost feel how loved those twins are.
Big brother, little brother bonding time. Luke keeps asking to "pet" the babies.
 
Heidi Carroll Lamb Probably because they are in a terrarium! ha ha!


Teeny tiny baby girl. I couldn't believe how little she was in person!

 
Kira Fisher By the way, it is anticipated that BOTH babies will be breathing without any assistance before the end of the weekend!

Baby girl

Baby boy

Baby boy



Mommy and Daddy tickling baby girl's teeny feet.


"Petting" baby brother again. He made Jeff go back and forth picking him up to "pet" each baby.

This sweet kid has been all about hugs and cuddles for Mommy the past few days. Love him!

Michelle Witt Makes me want to cry!

Melissa Mitchell Shelley This picture kills me!!!! So sweet! Luke missed his mommy!


My cute boys walking me back to my room.

Cindy Scott Oh my goodness...this made me cry. Such a sweet little family! Congratulations!!
 
Karen Alvarado de Juarez son dos bebés hermosos, que Nuestro Padre Celestial los bendiga con mucha salud y que siempre estén rodeados de amor. Los amamos.

Janet M Carroll Kira, I am so proud of who you are. Such a sweet, loving Mother ( like your Mom). I love your little family.

We were back in the NICU again later that day to drop off what little colostrum I could pump for my little ones. The nurses were so great about doing whatever they could to make sure my babies got everything  I could provide them. No amount was too small to bottle, label, and bring to the NICU, and the NICU nurses made sure everything I gave them was given to the twins through their feeding tubes.
This little girl was so cute all curled up on her side with her teeny tiny fist sticking up!


Couldn't get enough of those itty bitty feet and teeny little chicken legs.

Little man and his cute little hand


I got to hold my sweet baby boy for the first time last night! Many nurses wouldn't be comfortable letting parents hold babies who are on CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure - the tubes in his nose), but this very experienced nurse was awesome and let me hold him for almost 30 minutes! And for those who are wondering, CPAP is essentially the same thing as nasal cannula (those commonly seen thin tubes that deliver constant oxygen to the patient through the nose), except that it can deliver more pressure, keeping baby's lungs open. So it is much less invasive than it looks. And both babies will probably be off of CPAP sometime today, which is great because this little guy HATES it and knowing Mommy is clueless, managed to wriggle his way out of it while I was holding him! He can breathe just fine without it, so hopefully we'll get to say goodbye to it forever today!


He just slept on my chest for a solid 20 minutes. Heaven.

July 05, 2013

Luke wanted to give Baby girl her binkie.

My little engineer boy, always trying to figure out how things work! In this case, my wheel chair. And figure it out he did! Then, he gave us all a little lesson about it.

No more CPAP for baby girl! (Baby boy got rid of his too) She was crying today and I was trying to comfort her through the side of her bed, and then Daddy came over and put his hand on her back and she stopped and calmed down instantly. A daddy's girl already

Heidi Carroll Lamb I love her!

Baby Boy

"HERO" "I'm a Big Brother!" Luke is so proud of his big brother status. He gets really excited to see and touch the babies every chance he gets.


First time holding baby girl! She is SO tiny! And yet she is so alert! She looked up at me and all around the room with wide open eyes!
 
Melissa Mitchell Shelley awww!!!!!!! she knows her mama!


I didn't post this picture to Facebook the day I took it because it made me sad how skinny her sweet little face was and it really showed when you looked at her head-on (the puffy eye didn't help either). It really made me wish that my body had taken better care of this precious little girl, so she wouldn't have had to come so early and work so hard to survive in the womb and out of it. But this little girl is a fighter! Not only did she survive, she thrived: keeping up with her brother, improving every day, and avoiding even a single set-back or complication!

Luke, Jeff, and Blake all squeezed into one chair. Luke wanted to be as close as possible to his little brother and sister as often as he could from the beginning.


Luke made funny faces and played peek-a-boo with both babies

Heidi Carroll Lamb Oh. Daddy and his two boys! What a wonderful daddy and big brother this little guy has!

Luke was SO excited to hold his baby brother and sister and he really wanted to do it all by himself. He was so gentle with them and asked if he could hug and kiss them.

Heidi Carroll Lamb Beautiful. I love that little boy so much. He's so sweet and good.


Sweet baby boy. I think he's happy to be rid of that nasty CPAP!

[July 5th, 8:47pm] Well it's official! Our babies have names! Introducing Blake Cory and Jade Elizabeth Fisher Also, THANK YOU so much to all those that have been leaving comments and messages! I have been reading them all, but have not always had time to respond. Just know that they are very appreciated and put a smile on my face I love all you wonderful people!

July 06, 2013


Tiny baby girl next to Daddy's hand.

We noticed right away that Jade had some looong arms and fingers!


Mr. Blake


Jeff got to hold baby Jade today.

She was wide awake and just stared at him and their surroundings the entire time!


Little Mr. Blake slept the entire time I held him, and made lots of adorable mouse-like sounds in his sleep.

Streeetch! Both of these babies have been serious stretchers since birth, especially Jade!


Visitors!

 Heidi Carroll Lamb Maybe they came a little early to meet their uncle Kyle before he leaves. [on his LDS mission]


I came home from the hospital tonight. These are our "laugh to keep from crying" faces. Seriously. It was so hard to leave our little munchkins, but at least we can visit them whenever we want (which will be A LOT)!


Saying goodbye to baby Jade for the night.


Blake did not make it easy to say goodbye. He squeezed his daddy's finger and just looked up at us with his big sweet eyes.



July 07, 2013

Look what came in the mail today! Lindsey, I just LOVE you! Thank you so much for the awesome care package! It is seriously perfect! I LOVE the giant pony coloring book! And I'm SO impressed that you remembered Twix and Kit Kats! You're right that Kit Kat's are probably ever so slightly my favorite candy, but Kit Kat, Twix, and Butterfinger are all very close and sometimes my favorite just depends on my mood :) I haven't seen you in much too long, and yet you are still such an amazing friend! I feel so lucky to know you, you wonderful woman!

Jeff kept busy with all kinds of projects during my hospital stay! I helped him with a brake fluid flush the morning after I got home (I had the easy sit in the car and pump the brakes job) and Luke was really excited to help him put the wheels back on later that day.


Good morning, Little Man!

Stephanie Dietz I think he looks like big brother!


Sleepy girl.

Heidi Carroll Lamb Oh my goodness! She does have wee, skinny legs! She is so cute! I love seeing all her hair! Just like mommy!

Cute Blake.


The hospital gives each family of a new baby a celebratory cake, delivered straight to mom's room! And since we had two babies, we got TWO cakes! We saved them and brought them over to Ben and Caitlin's to share after Sunday dinner.


Renita brought her fancy camera and snapped a whole bunch of great pictures tonight when we were visiting the babies! Here is Mr. Blake.


Blake

Jade

Luke knew exactly where to go in the hospital to find his brother and sister each day! He pressed all the right buttons on the elevators and ran down the hall to the NICU every time!

Blake


Cute big brother



Baby Blake got moved into a "big boy bed" tonight (just a regular open crib instead of the heat regulated closed one he has been in). It was a little traumatic getting sensors and other sticky things peeled off and being naked for a while. Poor little guy. He makes such cute sad faces though! You should have seen that little bottom lip quivering!



I held his hand while the mean ole nurse peeled off all of the stickers and sensors.

He and I both felt a lot better when he got to snuggle with mom for a LONG time while they got his new bed situated.

Debi Carroll Kaline Kira! Your babies are SO SWEET!


He whipped his little head up like this all on his own! Strong boy! Luke wanted to show Blake his new car.

Heidi Carroll Lamb It's a "Pehpel" one. (how Luke says "purple")

LOVED holding this sweet little bundle! I just wanted to take him home with me so bad!


Baby girl stayed comfortable in her cozy big bed. Hopefully she'll gain more weight so she can move soon too! She did gain a little today for the first time though! Yay! (Blake did too.. they've both just lost a little each day so far, which is totally normal, but I loved seeing that they are starting to gain now!)


Luke wanted to compare his hand to Blake's tiny one.


Jeff had Luke giggling like crazy, as usual



Baby girl probably wondered what the commotion was with her brother getting moved!


Daddy got to hold baby Blake too.



Love this sweet kid! He got to see me at home for the first time this morning (he stayed at his cousin's last night) and he asked me if we were going to go visit the babies later. I told him we were and he asked if I was going to stay at the hospital when we went. I said no, I didn't have to stay at the hospital anymore! I would just be staying home with him from now on. He looked relieved and said, "Mom, can I hug you?"

July 08, 2013


Grandma Fisher got to hold Baby Blake for the first time this morning.



BOTH babies got off of oxygen completely this morning! I think they're both pretty happy about it! Their IV's are set to come out in two days, so all they will have left is their feeding tubes!

Caitlin Fisher What a sweetie. I want to snuggle him.


Little Jade



Baby Jade is not a fan of being weighed. At least she is finally gaining a little bit! Poor girl is still so skinny!

Jade kept trying to pull out her feeding tube with those long fingers of hers, so the nurse put some mittens on her. Too bad this crazy little girl got a mitten off within 2 minutes of having it put on!



This cute kid has been a trooper with all of the hospital visits! Love him!

Back for another visit after Jeff got off work.

Heidi Carroll Lamb I can't wait to insert myself right into some of these photos tomorrow night! 

July 09, 2013

Luke was SO excited to hold his baby brother all by himself! He said Blake got bigger, but "that one [Jade] is taking a long time. But can we take this one [Blake] home now?" He just loves his little siblings! It's so sweet!



Jeri totally made our day! She drove us to the hospital and hung out with us there for almost 3 hours! And Luke LOVED her, so he was a happy camper for all that time! Jeri is the BEST!


We held both babies for the majority of our visit! It was amazing! Luke just went back and forth from one baby to the other giving hugs and kisses and being silly to try and entertain them.

My sweet baby girl! She is finally getting a little bit more chub in her cheeks so she is starting to look a little more like a newborn, and a little less like a baby monkey (a really cute baby monkey, of course! ;))


Baby Jade. Once again, she was awake and alert the whole time we held her, while Blake mostly just snoozed away.



Luke LOVES Jeri! His new best friend!




I just love watching this little boy be so sweet and loving with his little brother and sister!



Heidi Carroll Lamb Were Papal on Facebook, he would say, "I like his wee green hat."

Luke wanted to hold Jeri's hand instead of mine. I guess I can't blame him!

Michelle Witt Luke's little face!

As evidenced by all of the pictures, we had a wonderful visit with our sweet little ones this morning! Here is the update: Both babies are doing great off of oxygen and with their feedings (which have been increased a little each day, with Blake eating just a little more than Jade at each feeding). Both babies have been gaining weight for the past couple of days. Jade (born at 3 lbs 10 oz) dropped down to about 3 lbs 2 oz at her lowest, but as of today is back up to 3lbs 7 oz. Blake (born at 5 lbs 4 oz) dropped to 4 lbs 13 oz at his lowest, but as of today is back up to 5 lbs 2 oz. Grow babies grow! Also both babies will be getting their IV's out tonight! We continue to have nothing but good news at every visit! We are just so grateful and feel so blessed! Life is wonderful!

Grandma Lamb is here!
 
Cory Lamb A lot of smiling in this picture.

Linda Voiers DiPadova You are absolutely beautiful...and so are your grandchildren

Kathy Gearhart Blattman That's your MOM??? She's stunning. So THAT'S who's responsible for your beauty. Lovely.


Brenda Carroll Sommers Yay! Luke looks beside himself with happiness!

Janet M Carroll I can feel the love and happiness in this photo.

Janet M Carroll We must have looked at this photo ten times yesterday. It makes us happy. We even showed it to Billie Ricks last night when she came with Ron home teaching.
Luke made friends with a rollie pollie in the hospital parking lot and decided to take it home.

Janet M Carroll I think I will die of happiness every time I see you and your babies, including Mr. luke. I love you. And Papal does too. We look at the photos over and over.

July 10, 2013

Sleepy Blake


Luke is loving having Grandma Lamb here!

Our babies are 1 week old tonight! And baby Jade is already out of her incubator bed! I was SO excited when I walked into their room this morning and saw that they will now be sharing this crib! Jade gained 2 more ounces since yesterday and she is maintaining her body temp like a champ! The nurses are going to start trying bottle feeding twice a day now - the last thing they have to master before they can come home! These two will be home before we know it! 

Baby Jade


This girl is always SO aware of her surroundings!

I was completely overwhelmed by the generosity and kindness of our friends and family from the moment the twins were born! This is a picture of our freezer completely packed full of food from members of our ward at church and this isn't even all of the food we got! It's maybe half! (We are still benefiting from this kindness a month and a half later!)
July 11, 2013

All my babies! How did I get so lucky??

Caroline Bauman Kira!!!! You are the most adorable mom, I'm so happy for all of you!!

Debi Carroll Kaline Oh my goodness! Your children are SO CUTE! You look so great too, Kira!

Dianna Keeler Vannatta We are sooooo happy for all of you!
Hugs. Luke likes to give the babies a LOT of these at each visit.



The first attempt at bottle feeding was unsuccessful. The babies were a little confused about what they were supposed to do. Not quite ready, I guess. But I hope they get ready soon! Because I was ready to just walk right out of there with both of them! I'm trying to be patient, but I'm dying to snuggle my little ones at home!



Grandma and Blake

Mom and I went to the hospital on this night while Jeff stayed home to spend some quality time with Luke.


We got to feed the babies bottles tonight! They're doing so great! They didn't drink very much this way, but they've already figured out how to do it! Now they just have to work on getting everything out of the bottle more efficiently. These babies are amazing! They're getting closer and closer to coming home and I am SO excited!

 I fed cute Blake.


Mom fed Jade.
July 12, 2013

One of our awesome nurses snapped this picture of Blake to show us! He had pushed himself all the way up to the top of the crib and was screaming for someone to come save him from those cold, hard bars! Crazy strong, just like his big brother was!


Sweet baby girl.


This little girl seems to always be so calm and happy! Love her!



Smiley baby Blake! We catch both of these little ones making the most adorable smiley faces all. the. time! I love it!


Playing outside with Daddy: the only one of the three of us who was willing and able to run around with him!
Both babies have officially passed up their birth weights at 1 week, 1 day old! Jade 3lbs 11oz (born 3lbs 10oz) and Blake 5lbs 6oz (born 5lbs 4oz). AND Jade finished an entire bottle last night, while Blake ALMOST finished his! Yay!
July 13, 2013


Daddy and Jade


Uncle Kyle and Blake


Baby winks

Mom, Jeff, Luke, and I all went to see Despicable Me 2 together. Luke loves the minions!


My heart about burst from the sweetness of walking in and seeing both babies wrapped up in the same blanket!

Abby Hawsey Durr Aww a double burrito! So cute!
Blake nuzzled up against his sister every chance he got!

Brenda Carroll Sommers Look at how cute they are, like little baby sausages



July 14, 2013

LOVE these two! (Jade on the left, Blake on the right)






Yay! Caitlin finally got to come!


Sweet baby Jade was so content all snuggled up under my shirt doing "skin-to-skin." I need to do this more often with these little ones!


Super Luke! Can I just say again how proud I am of how great this kid has been at all of these hospital visits?? He is so well-behaved in that little room every day and he's SO sweet with the babies! Today he was upset when we were leaving because he realized he forgot to kiss them.


Brooke Sommers-Hunter I love all of the pictures of Luke parading around the hospital like he owns the place.
July 15, 2013


The reason there were no pictures yesterday. My tooth broke and my face swelled up! I spent all day making trips to the dentist and oral surgeon, eventually getting the tooth pulled in the afternoon.


But Jeff visited that night with his mom, dad, and brother, Kyle. Here is Grandpa Fisher with Blake.


Kyle and Jade

July 16, 2013


Skin-to-skin with Jade today - making me look pregnant again!


We squeezed both babies in there!
 
Jackie Pinkowitz This is so amazing! Kira, I love you and all your little ones!


Jade 3lbs 14.1oz (up 4.1oz from birth)
Blake 5lbs 11.5oz (up 7.5oz from birth)
He makes her look so tiny! But they are both eating and growing like champs! She might catch up one day!

This girl is constantly stretching!




 Ashley Lamb Synchronized swimmers!

Blake is more snuggly than Jade. She is okay with having a little space, but he snuggles up to her every chance he gets!

Tara Solesbee Tobin Jade is prob used to Blake taking all the room!

It was almost time for dinner and apparently Blake was getting hungry!

Adriano Martinez wow didn't know u were packing 2! doublegrats :)

July 17, 2013

Luke broke my laptop and I broke the keyboard for our desktop within a day of each other (both with spills)! Hence, the lack of pictures for the past couple of days. But I'm back now! Here's a picture of Luke's mad stacking/balancing skills!

Jade

July 18, 2013


Grandma and Blake


Love this little boy!


There was balloon lady at Ihop when we went for dinner.

Luke got a dragon AND a dog!

Jade


Cuddles for Jade from her big brother



Luke and Jade


Luke and Blake


Balloon animal war (thanks Ihop!)


Can't get enough of baby Jade snuggles!


"Jump over the lava!"

July 19, 2013


Blake. He looks so much like Luke!

Baby Blake smiles




Jade was so relaxed and content after being held and rocked by Grandma Lamb all morning.



Blake.

Mom babysat Luke while Jeff and I went out for date night, so Mom and Luke had a little impromptu date of their own! They went to the movies to see Turbo.

July 20, 2013

Luke held and rocked Jade for the longest time.

Grandma and Jade


Baby update: The doctor is very impressed with how well both babies are eating at their age. They are both almost exclusively on bottles now. Blake hasn't used his feeding tube at all in a few days and Jade has only needed to use her for the last little bit of a couple of feedings in that time. Hopefully they will both get those feeding tubes out for good soon! And then it won't be long before we get to bring them home! Also, Jade finally broke 4 lbs yesterday! As of last night, she weighed 4 lbs and Blake weighed 5 lbs 14.8 oz. Please come home soon, little ones!!

Super cool Luke getting ready to play at the splash pad in the rain.


Luke dodged the bucket of water by hiding under Jeff!


Jeff wasn't about to let Luke hide this time!



July 21, 2013

Blake 2 1/2 weeks old and no more feeding tube!! The doctor told us today that Blake could come home in 2 days, but they are letting us keep them together until Jade is ready (I hate the thought of leaving her there by herself when she is so used to sleeping snuggled up to her brother every day). She is only about 2-3 days behind him so our babies should be home in about 5 days!! YAY!!

Sweet baby Blake.

Jade got her feeding tube out too! The nurse just needed to track down the anti-adhesive to get that tape off of her cheek.

Baby girl

Sleepy little Blake

Jeff distracted Luke with games on his iPod, while I spent some quality time with my little Jade ...

The night before this, my mom sang to Jade while she was rocking her and the instant Mom started singing, Jade smiled. It seemed too perfect to be a coincidence! And just one day later, just before this picture was taken, I was singing primary songs to Jade. The moment I started singing the first song, "I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus," Jade smiled so big! We decided it couldn't be a coincidence! This little girl loves to be sung to!

Stephanie! Thank you SO much for the adorable headbands and preemie clothes! This tiny girl needed them! I can't wait to try the clothes on her tonight!

Stephanie Jamtaas Fantasia You're so welcome!!! I can't wait to meet those little cuties! And I'm glad the outfits fit. When Eli was in the NICU I remember feeling thankful for preemie clothes. Just dressing him was a wonderfully personal mommy moment when so many other things were still out of our control. You guys are awesome, Devin and I are so happy for you!





July 22, 2013

Jade doing the car seat test. The babies had to stay in their car seats for an hour and maintain good vitals the whole time - one of the requirements before they could be sent home.

Both babies passed their tests!

Cuddling with my Luke

M&M designs

July 23, 2013


I hope this picture isn't an indication of things to come! haha


Jennifer Courreges This is awesome! Mom, he's touching me...MOOOOMMMM!!!
 Kathy Gearhart Blattman What a darling photo! And WOW.....who knew that 2 pounds could make such a huge difference in size! Never fear, she'll learn to get her way. Every little sister does. SO. HAPPY. FOR. YOU!!!!


Being adorable while we waited to be discharged.



This boy is always in his sister's space! He's a cuddly one!

Enough pictures, Mom!

Amanda Tomasits telling secrets!

Look at Blake's hand, signing "love!"

It's amazing she can sleep with him around!


Seriously, dude?


Getting ready to go!

Jade came home from the hospital at 4 lbs. 6 oz. SO tiny!

Blake was 6 lbs. 4 oz. Still more than a pound smaller than Luke was the day he was born!

Family of 5!

That is one packed back seat!

Tina Chitwood Porter Packed with love & blessings :)

Luke kept himself busy! He almost refused to take a nap because he wanted to stay up and "take care of them."

Home!



Finally home!!! We are SO excited!!



Napping in their crib for the first time!

Barbra Chubbuck Soooooo cute! Looks like they're fighting in a couple pictures, then they're making up, snuggling, etc. So cute! So happy everyone is doing well! 

July 24, 2013

Our twins were only home for a few hours before we had an ambulance at our front door! Poor babies! Poor us! We all had a pretty traumatic night, but all is well now. Thank goodness! I don't know what I would have done if I'd have lost one of these precious little ones. I just love them way too much for that!

I will explain, so this isn't one of those obnoxiously ambiguous status updates ... The babies were prescribed 1 mL a day of a liquid multivitamin. We were told to put it in a bottle nipple to feed it to them and if they didn't want to take it straight (it tastes nasty), we could mix it with a few mL of breast milk. We could also break it up into .5 mL twice a day if we needed to. Well Luke is a champ at taking medications! Even the nasty ones! So we decided to first try and get the 1 mL down sans breast milk really fast and then immediately start their normal feeding of breast milk to wash it down. Both babies sucked down most of the medicine, and then started to choke on it! It's a syrupy consistency and they probably both kind of choked on it because it tasted gross, but that sent it up into their noses. Jade stopped breathing almost immediately and started turning purple, closely followed by Blake. It was a heart-pounding 20 seconds holding a rigid, panicked, growing more and more purple tiny baby girl as I immediately ran downstairs and grabbed a bulb syringe to suction everything out of her nose and mouth. While Jeff did the same to Blake. Jade wasn't breathing for about 20 seconds, although it felt much longer, and Blake took a little less time. My mom called 911 while we worked on them and the ambulance arrived after both babies were breathing normally and their color had returned to normal. Easily the scariest thing I've even been through! So grateful to have two perfectly healthy babies today!
Two happy, healthy, fully-recovered babies napping away after they both took record feedings! :)


This boy LOVES his little sister (and brother)!



They love him too.



Didn't think I could be any more grateful to have this little girl in my life, but after last night, I am loving every moment with her!



July 25, 2013


Babies' first outing!


Luke made friends with the cutest little boy while Mom and I were feeding the babies! They chased each other around in endless circles, apparently unaware of the Texas heat!


The little boy had to go to into a store with his family, but he kept coming back to the front of the store to see Luke through the window. It took us a while to realize that he was pointing to the front of the store, asking Luke to go around to the door and come into the store to play with him.


Grandma found some quarters so Luke could ride a few of the rides.

Mr. Blake

Mr. Blake

Brother love. "I'm holding his hand, Mom!"


Blake's first bath



He was a fan.


Jade liked hers too.


Cozy post-bath baby Jade


July 26, 2013

Content little Blake with a nice full belly.
 
Sarah Brazee Ellsworth Holy cow, he looks just like Luke!

Brenda Danner Oswell He really does!

Kira Fisher Yep, it's almost hard to tell them apart when you compare pictures of Blake with Luke's baby pictures! We asked Luke which was which and he mixed them up!

Elizabeth Wallace He looks like Luke!!
Blake and I matched .. only opposite.


"Are you taking pictures of me AGAIN, Mom?"


Sharla Davis Omg he is such a mini Luke!
July 27, 2013

Luke did such a great job feeding Blake all on his own!

Brenda Danner Oswell This is the cutest picture YET!
Tummy time with Jade





First real tummy time and Blake seriously came *this close* to rolling over! Crazy strong boy! Just like his brother!




Double duty!

 Denise Ormord Dooley-Realtor Looks like Daddy has got this!!!!! So precious and so blessed!!!!!

Dottie Musso So adorable! Can't believe the difference in size that little boy is a bruiser
July 28, 2013

Sunday nap on Luke's Tigger couch


Grandma and Grandpa Fisher came to visit!



July 30, 2013

Grandpa Lamb is here! We were all so happy to see him! Luke kept hugging him and said, "Grandpa, I'm SO glad to see you!"






July 31, 2013



These two had an appointment with their doctor today! At 4 weeks old (37 weeks gestation), Jade now weighs 5lbs 1oz (born 3lbs 10oz) and is 18.5 inches long (born 15 in). Blake weighs 7lbs 3.5oz (born 5lbs 4oz) and is 20.5 inches long (born 19in). They're doing so great!



Debi Carroll Kaline They are so very adorable! Straight from heaven!

Kung Fu babies!




On our way to Costco, where my parents spoiled us with lots of groceries! It was a full car every time we all went somewhere together! My parents seemed SO far away way back there!

So, there you have it! The first month of our little miracles' lives! We love them so much! After waiting over a year just to find out they would finally be joining our family, and then having them born so early, and then almost losing them on their very first night home, I can't help but just be so happy and grateful for them constantly! Even while they were in the NICU, I was just SO happy and grateful all the time! Sure, I wished I could bring them home, but I wasn't depressed about them being in the NICU. It was the exact opposite! I was just so grateful to have my sweet little ones here and doing so well under the circumstances. And I can't even begin to express how grateful I was to have such strong confirmations from a loving Father in Heaven that I didn't need to worry; I would have two happy, healthy babies home with me before long! I am so blessed with three beautiful, sweet children and a wonderful husband by my side! Sure, twins are a lot of work and Jeff and I are already looking forward to some alone time on our cruise next summer, but I absolutely love being a family of 5!

No comments: