Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Hurray for Weekends!

In past winters, we and a few other couples have gone up to our friend Becca Maxfield's family's cabin for a couple days full of snowmobiling, sledding, movies, games, and fun. But this year, the Higley's have 5-month old little Emme to worry about and my being pregnant would hinder my participation in some of the outdoor activities so we just haven't made it up there. Jeff and I were sad to miss out on such a fun tradition this year, but luckily, Jeff was at least able to go snowmobiling with Matt on Saturday. He loved it. The Maxfields recently bought a new snowmobile and he especially loved the few times Matt gave him a turn riding it. He's been pretty sore in the days following, but it was worth it.

Jeff riding the exciting new snowmobile. Jeff and I seriously lack winter clothes so I'm glad Matt lent him plenty of gear to keep him warm and dry in the snowy weather!



I'm so impressed that they took the time to take pictures!
These guys are so great!

On Sunday, I made shamrock cupcakes for our Sunday school class. I decided it was a good opportunity to build a cheesy St. Patrick's day date around them. We played some funny games, watched a few clips of the Irish Drinking Song from Who's Line is it Anyway? and had "meat and potatoes" (roast beef w/ potatoes, carrots, and celery) for dinner - my very Irish grandpa swears he could live off of nothing but meat and potatoes ... and candy.

Yummy shamrock cupcakes. Don't worry, the licorice is watermelon flavored, not sour apple.

We tried shooting Rolos ("gold") into a hat. We made a few in (Jeff: 7/12, Me: 4/12), but they loved to bounce out and it was harder than it looked!

Then we played "Pin the Shamrock on the Leprechaun." We tried to get as close as we could to covering the shamrock on the leprechaun's hat with ours.

Jeff won at this game too - barely!
Finally, we had an "Irish Potato Race." We put potatoes on spoons and raced while trying to balance them. This very attractive picture of me shows my disappointment at losing every game.

UPDATE: Today (Tuesday) was one of those great days where Jeff came home with me right after my class got out at 4:15 instead of a couple of hours later. And to make it even better, the weather is perfect today - sunny and 56 degrees! Even though we both had some homework to do, we decided we just couldn't pass up the opportunity (especially since every weekend has been rainy/snowy for weeks!) and went on a nice long bike ride! We followed our usual route down to the the Riverwoods Mall and then up the hill (which I made it all the way up without stopping even in my almost 6 months pregnant state!) to Target and back down to our house. On the way, we stopped at McDonalds and got some delicious strawberry banana smoothies, which we had a 2 for 1 coupon for. We also stopped at Target to pick up The Princess and the Frog on DVD (we have a $10 off coupon), but they didn't have it so we stopped at Best Buy, but sadly, it was out of stock there too. Oh well. I had fully intended to watch that tonight instead of doing my homework so maybe it's for the best! It felt so good to get back outside on our bikes like it was summer again (I even wore shorts and no sweatshirt!)! We're just hoping this beautiful weather lasts!

5 comments:

Brenda said...

I think Jeff was peeking! Love the Irish potato races!

Lindsey Harmer said...

haha. you are so fun.

ok said...

Your "cheesy" little dates are so cute! I wish I were that creative! And I love the shamrock cupcakes, sooo cute!

Heidi said...

Kira and Jeff. You guys crack me up! You're both going to be such good parents :) Your kids will LOVE doing all of this stuff with you guys. Jeff, I'm glad you got to go fast on a big machine with lots of (hopefully) soft snow around you.

Hunter Family said...

You guys are the cutest!