Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Farewell Flagstaff

Although most aspects of Flagstaff have been slowly sucking the life out of me since we moved here (e.g. the tininess of the town, lack of activities, lack of family, terrible weather, etc.), there are a few things about this place that I will miss when we move and look back on fondly. In fact, there are precisely 6 things that I can think of (in no particular order):

1. Our ward and my calling in the ward as the Mia Maids adviser. We have such an incredible ward here filled with really wonderful people. I'll miss them. I love attending meetings on Sundays and church activities during the week because you just can't help but feel great when you're surrounded with these amazing people. It will be difficult for our ward in Houston to measure up. Also, I just got called as the Mia Maids adviser over the best girls! I was so excited about it and I'm really sad that I have to give it up already.

2. Hiking. There is some really gorgeous hiking in this area. It has been so nice having it so close by and accessible. I'll miss that.

3. Prairie Dogs. They are just the cutest things ever and they are EVERYWHERE along Route 66. We see them running around and playing every time we go on a bike ride and I see them when I run in the mornings. This morning on my run, there were about a million baby prairie dogs running around. Painfully cute. I can't even tell you.

4. Friends. I have made some great friends here. Honestly, I knew we would be moving eventually so I was afraid to get too close to them only to leave, but some of the girls I have met in Flagstaff have really made my time here so much better. Especially, the ones I have visit taught and my visiting teaching partner, Amy (love her!). And the girls I got to know through our weekly young moms group. I will miss them and I so appreciate them helping me to hold onto my sanity living in a place that is clearly not for me.

5. Aunt Linda's House. Aunt Linda actually lives in Gilbert, AZ, not Flagstaff, but I am really going to miss being able to drive down and visit her on the weekends. It has been so nice having her somewhat nearby as not living close to family has been one of the things I have disliked most about living in Flagstaff. At least Aunt Linda was only 2 1/2 hours away so I could get my family fix on the occasional weekend. And Aunt Linda is the best! She is so fun, kind, a great cook, Luke loves her, and she has a pool! I love her and her family!

6. Timberline Village Apartments. Okay, maybe I won't actually miss this - I'm SO excited to move into our own house - but I have really appreciated them in the time we have been here. The apartments are very nice for the price and the staff is so friendly and helpful. They call us by name every time they see us. The maintenance guys are so nice and so reliable. I'm actually happy to see them when they come over to fix something because they are so pleasant to talk to and Luke really likes them. This is a great place for anyone looking to rent in Flagstaff, just FYI. ;)

And honestly, I have nothing against Flagstaff. It's a cute little town with very nice people and beautiful surroundings. Just about all of the things I hate about it wouldn't even be a factor if we were just visiting on vacation, but I cannot stand to live here any longer. I'm so excited to be moving to a place that is such a better fit for me and my family! Farewell, Flagstaff!

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Sucking the life out of you - you are HILARIOUS! I'm glad you're getting to move on. Love you!