We have a window behind our couch and when we are sitting there, Luke likes to stare out at the sky. He was doing that on Monday morning and I couldn't help but snap about a million pictures of his sweet face.
Later that morning, he was sleeping in the center of Jeff's pillow and somehow managed to roll off to one side and stay fast asleep.
Later on, he went out with me to get my ring cleaned. He was in a bit of a fussy mood though, so when I tried to take him to Wal-Mart afterward, he would have none of it. We got as far as the freezer section before he told me he wanted to go home. I respected his wishes.
Day 23
Tuesday consisted of hanging out at home and a trip to Wal-Mart (the second attempt was much more successful) and TCBY for some frozen yogurt. Luke and I spend a lot of time at home, but in order to stay sane, we try to get out of the house at least once a day and I try to exercise every day as well.
Day 24
On Wednesday morning, Luke had some tummy time on our bed. He was holding up his head a lot, as usual, but this time I timed him and counted to about 18 seconds! This little boy is strong!
He typically moves around and strains and grunts so much when he is on his tummy that he only lasts about fifteen minutes before he has had enough and starts to get upset, but for the first time, he relaxed after a while and even fell asleep.
Day 25
Thursday was a rough day for Mommy. I had signed up in relief society to bring lunch that day to a man in the ward who had torn his Achilles tendon. I decided to make chicken salad sandwiches. Luke was napping so I settled in on the couch, got everything set up on the coffee table, put on a movie and started chopping away. I chopped up all of the fruits and vegetables first, leaving the chicken for last. Luke slept the entire time I was chopping up all of the fruits and vegetables. I was making double the recipe so there would be plenty left over for Jeff and I over the next few days, so there was a lot of chopping to do. As Luke slept, I started to think, Wow, he's sleeping so well and letting me get all of this done. It's probably because I'm doing service. That's why I'm getting a break. But much to my dismay, Luke woke up just as I was about to start cutting up the seven raw chicken breasts and he was fussy! I changed his diaper and fed him, but he wasn't satisfied. He wouldn't let me put him down for long before he would start to cry. I was running low on time (I was supposed to drop the food off at 12pm) and obviously, I couldn't touch raw meat and then pick up my crying baby. I had to wash my hands every time. Finally I laid Luke next to me and made sure to touch the chicken with only one hand so I could try to comfort him with the other. He continued to fuss and it was slow going. When I finally got all of the chicken cut up, it was already a few minutes after 12. I held Luke as I cooked the chicken, but there were other things I needed both hands for. I would set him down, run into the kitchen and get as much done as I could before he really started to scream, go calm him down and do it all over again. I knew I was already late and the family I was bringing the food to was new in the ward so their phone number was not on our list. I couldn't call to let him know I'd be late and I was stressing out. I hate to be late. I finally got the food over to him at about 12:40. He didn't seem to mind that it was late, but I felt bad. I was relieved to be done though and of course as I was walking down the street back home, Luke fell asleep. When we got home, I put him in his swing and collapsed on the couch. Luke napped for a good two hours and was his usual happy little self when he woke up. Good timing.
When Jeff got home, I was exhausted and feeling just a teensy bit sorry for myself so he cheered me up by taking me out for ice cream and then we watched Four Christmases (the DVD we got in the mail from Netflix that day).
Day 26
Remember when I told you we had to buy diapers ourselves for the first time last Saturday (you probably don't, but I did, I promise)? Well with that box, we had a little over 100 diapers total. Now Here we are less than six days later buying more. And Luke went through 25 of this next set in the first 24 hours after we bought them! Jeff keeps saying it's a good thing he's got a job because he has to pay for diapers.
After a great night of sleep, Luke gave me a couple of smiles on the changing pad Saturday morning. We had started to see hints of smiles while he was awake over the past couple of days, but he gave me a really big open-mouthed smile that morning. I'm not sure that anything in particular brought it on. He still isn't smiling as a reaction to being played with or tickled, but we're seeing more and more little spontaneous smiles while he is awake. I can't wait until he is smiling for real.
That night, we went to Color Me Mine with high hopes of getting Luke’s hand and footprints on a plate. We started with the feet. Luke was sleeping and painting his feet didn’t wake him up like we expected it to so this was relatively easy. Each foot only took two tries to get them just right. But the hands were a different story. It was hard enough to get them painted with Luke’s death grip and getting them open and flat on a plate was practically impossible. We tried a couple of times with no success and Luke wasn’t a very happy camper. Lucky for us, a nice girl at the table next to us offered to help. She held Luke, Jeff held the plate, and I worked with Luke’s hands. Each hand still took a couple of tries, but we managed to get a couple of decent handprints. Luke did great! He never cried, he just sucked vigorously on the helpful girl’s knuckle while we tried to pry his hands open. I did my best to finish the plate up quickly while Jeff took Luke for a walk outside. All things considered, I think the plate turned out pretty good (hopefully, it looks good after it’s fired) and we were so proud of Luke for being so good even while we tormented the poor little guy.
Day 28
On Sunday, we took Luke to our Sunday school class and he just made it long enough for us to take the sacrament and head home again. Maybe next week we'll do what it takes to keep him there at least for all of sacrament meeting.
Luke is getting so big! He eats all the time so it shouldn't be too surprising, but I still can't believe how fast he's growing! Jeff and I tried to weigh him Sunday night by having Jeff weigh himself and then weigh himself holding Luke. If the weight we got is correct, Luke now weighs about 9 lbs. 13 oz., which is almost 2 1/2 lbs. more than his birth weight. He is really starting to pack on the pounds and fill out. It is so fun to watch him grow and change every day.
No comments:
Post a Comment