Saturday, July 4, 2009

Lately...

Our week got off to a good start when Mamal (my grandma) and Aunt Debi so generously let Jeff and I stay in their hotel room Monday night. They decided to leave a day early (Monday afternoon instead of Tuesday), but Monday night was already paid for so it was all ours! Jeff got home from work around 3 so I decided I would make it a romantic night by dropping a few things off at the hotel to surprise him. I had him wait in the hall when we got there for a couple of minutes while I set everything up: candles in the bedroom and bathroom, sparkling cider in wine glasses and strawberries by the bathtub, rose petals scattered across the bedspread (I pilfered two red roses from our neighbors huge rose bush; hope they don't mind! :) ). Despite a couple of mishaps (a few rose petal stains on the bed - Jeff had to go next door to Walmart to get a Tide pen, but they came out!, a very stubborn bottle of sparkling cider, some melted candles), it was a very enjoyable and romantic night! We got to spend some time in the hotel hot tub and Mamal even called to let us know we could order movies on her! She is wonderful! We watched Marley and Me. Mamal and Aunt Debi were even kind enough to leave behind a bunch of delicious food left over from their visit.

Jeff and I are loving these summer weekends! Sunny days, long bike rides, frozen yogurt, hikes out in gorgeous green nature, visits to the beautiful parks that seem to be on every corner here in Utah! On Friday, we decided to go for a bike ride on the Provo River Parkway trail, like we have so many times, but this time we were feeling adventurous and decided to ride all the way to where the trail ends at Vivian Park a few miles up Provo Canyon. The ride was frequently at a slight incline so it took a little effort, but we were prepared with our camel packs full of water and about 11 miles later, we made it to the park! I was starving by the time we got there! We picked a shady spot and I immediately went to work on the turkey sandwich I had packed. Delicious! We didn't stay long. Next time, we'll remember to bring a frisbee so we have something to do when we get to the park.
In the grass at the park
The end of the trail!
On the way to the park, we noticed a cool looking park and decided to check it out on the way back. It was beautiful. Apparently, people reserve it for weddings and other special occasions.
We also enjoyed a little history lesson on the way home. Little signs along the trail explained the history of the power plant and the different ways they redirected water from the river. Here you can see some of the steel pipes and part of the power plant.
Jeff wasn't hungry when we got to the park since he ate before we left, but on the way home, he got hungry so we stopped at another park where I relaxed in the shade and drank some water and...
Jeff enjoyed his turkey sandwich.


I found one of those big rubber poppers at work a couple of days ago and Jeff discovered that it stings to let it pop off of your face. I had to give it a try. It did sting a little.

Tonight, Jeff and I are having a "western night." I got a little Daisy Duke outfit and Jeff found a couple of cheap cowboy hats. We had barbequed chicken, potatoes, and corn for dinner and now we're watching Shanghai Noon. Later, we might stack up a few plastic cups and shoot them down. A little dorky, but tons of fun! :)


1 comment:

Heidi said...

Hey you two! Sounds like you guys had a fun weekend. Maybe a little too much info on the cowboy night (dad and I were wondering what Jeff had on besides the hat :) ) ha ha Sorry I missed your call yesterday. Can't wait to see you guys Sunday!!!