Thursday, November 11, 2010

Halloween Party For 3

During the month of October, I noticed several Halloween party and trunk or treat posters lining the halls of our church building, but I was disappointed to find that none of them were for our ward!  I'm not obsessed with the holiday, but it can be a lot of fun and I didn't want it to pass by without even the smallest celebration.  Not to mention the fact that this would be Luke's first Halloween and we found him the most adorable dragon costume.  We needed an excuse to dress him in it!

As Halloween quickly approached, our ward remained silent regarding all things Halloween.  When the holiday was just over a week away, I assumed there would be no ward activity and I would have to take matters into my own hands.  I decided to plan a little Halloween-themed date night at home.  We had a great time even though our "date" felt an awful lot like a (kind of pathetic) Halloween party for three.

I think it was the set up that did it.  I had a whole spread of food, Halloween music playing in the background and streamers.  I'm pretty sure it was the streamers that really pushed the night over the edge into "This feels like a party.  Shouldn't there be more people here?"

Skeleton-shaped veggie tray, jack-o-lantern pizza, Halloween cookies, classic graveyard puddings (complete with gummy worms), a "guess how many candy corn" game, and notice the little pumpkins I made out of construction paper.


He looked better before I baked him.


Spiders, witch's hats, and chocolate-dipped Oreo's.  Yum.  I put the many left-overs in little baggies to hand out to trick-or-treaters.  They were very popular.

A close-up of one of my cute pumpkins.

We used that little cardboard jack-o-lantern for a game later on.  We tried to throw the candy corn through it after the guessing game - 10 points for the mouth, 25 for the eyes, and 50 for the nose.  It was hard, but somehow I won (purely luck).  There were 95 candy corn (I guessed 115, Jeff guessed 90 - Another win for Jeff) so we each took 48 shots.  I ended up with 75 points and Jeff's final score was 60, even though half my shots completely missed the pumpkin and every one of Jeff's was almost in.  If it weren't for luck, I wouldn't beat my husband at anything!  Of course, after I won, Jeff demanded a rematch - 30 shots each.  He beat me 120 points to 60.

We also played "Pin the tail on the cat."

 Luke looked on with great anticipation.

Another victory for Jeff.  He spun me so hard I could barely stand up so this is actually pretty impressive considering.

And the final game: witch's hat ring toss, using glow-in-the-dark bracelets.

To finish off the night, we watched Disturbia.  So yes, this little party was a fine display of our dorkyness, but as always, we had fun.  I wish we had been living here longer because it would have been fun to have another couple or two and their kids over, but we just haven't gotten close enough with anyone in particular.  Our ward is full of great people who we get along very well with, but no one quite stands out from the crowd as good friends who we could invite over to play cheesy games and watch movies yet.  Oh well, maybe next time.

3 comments:

Lindsey Harmer said...

You are so CUTE Kira! Jace and I actually had our own party too. We did have the ward trunk or treat, but felt we needed another party as well. Guests who attended: Jace, me, Jadyn, and parents....I suppose we are all dorks.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh Kira you are adorable! I love how you guys go all out with these sorts of things!! I need to be more like you!

Heidi said...

love the party! I can't believe you used the honor system and not a blind fold for the pin the tail on the cat game with uber-competitive Jeff....so trusting :) ha ha Your kids are going to think you're the best mom on the block one day...when they're old enough to eat candy corn that is.