Saturday, October 10, 2009

Indoor Campout!

Yesterday morning, I accidentally stole all of the hot water so Jeff had to take a freezing cold shower. It didn't help that our apartment is pretty cold in the mornings. He was shivering like crazy when he got out and I felt awful! I tried to help him warm up as I apologized a million times and I promised him I was going to come up with a nice surprise for him that night to make up for it.

After class, we rode our bikes home and then, taking advantage of the rare warm, sunny weather, took off on a bike ride for about an hour and a half. We had to wait until it was dark before I could set up the surprise I had planned.

When it was dark enough, I had Jeff go into the kitchen to play his computer game while I set everything up. We were going to camp indoors! I put the glow-in-the-dark stars under a lamp, hoping they would actually glow later, put on some loud music so Jeff wouldn't hear what I was doing, and got to work. I set up our tent and put about 6 blankets in the bottom to make it nice and comfy. Then I added pillows, flashlights, a few card games and a selection of wilderness-y movies for Jeff to choose from. On the way home from class, I had stopped to get graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate to make s'mores. I set everything out on a paper towel along with a make-shift campfire of 6 little candles. Earlier that day, I found an 11-minute track of nature sounds (crickets, a babbling brook, birds, wind, rain, etc.) online and I got that ready to play through the sound system. Then, I stuck all the stars up on the ceiling, turned off all the lights, lit the candles, turned on the "music" and invited Jeff in. He loved it! We made s'mores and snuggled up in our tent while we watched Jurassic Park: The Lost World. The stars even glowed pretty well when the candles were blown out and before we put the movie on!

The s'mores set up
Our camera isn't the best. I had to take a lot of the pictures with the flash on because for some reason, without the flash, the pictures came out even darker than they looked in real life. So don't be fooled, even though it looks like the lights are on in a lot of the pictures, the only source of light in the whole apartment is the candles.

The card games and movie choices


It's actually really dark, I promise!
See!
In the tent

4 comments:

Brenda said...

That looks so fun!

The Hansons said...

totally want to do this now with collin! great date night!

Heidi said...

You are so creative Kira!

jeanine said...

You guys are so cute! What a great idea!